What to do with a field?

Sponsored Links
Has he bought it yet?? with all the influx of foreingers coming into the country and the well welcome for the bulgarians and romanians soon land will be in short supply and planning laws are going to be more relaxed so if he wants to buy he better get in quick.

Nonot brought yet , as said the auction is in the new year. I think that you have the same idea as he has, buy it to prevent any "development" .
Hippy commune? Maybe in his earlier days although It could still appeal :D

Nonot brought yet , as said the auction is in the new year. I think that you have the same idea as he has, buy it to prevent any "development" .
Hippy commune? Maybe in his earlier days although It could still appeal :D

Let me know if its going to be a hippy commune :D :D ...I have always thought I would make a good hippie.....you know,free love and all that

Sponsored Links
Welsh fields , wellies , free love.....

has anyone got a sticky plaster for my tongue??????

If your mate wants to benefit the local environment and wildlife, then managing the field as a hay meadow is a simple and low-cost option: let the grass grow over the summer, cut for hay late summer/early autumn (scything would be practical for a small area, and damn good exercise ;) ), then rent it out for winter grazing to a local smallholder.

A couple of years of such a regime will produce a glorious display of wildflowers in the summer, and a small income over the winter. The local Wildlife Trust should be able to advise in more detail.

Few make hay these days. Certainly not with a sythe.
Climates fooked.

If you really want to help the environment then go the tree hugger route and plant it or just let it grow wild.
The best option after that is permaculture.

I'm just getting a couple of fields we have cleared up after they were rented out for horses for a while and then left for a bit while other stuff was going on.
I've been wondering what to do with them, so this is quite interesting to me.
Couple of things really. If I were buying it I'd want to know what the agreement is with the person renting it at the moment. Agricultural tenancies are complicated, and if he's just been allowed to keep livestock on it continuously for some time, he will have acquired rights to the tenancy, and may not be easy to move. For the same reason any future arrangement needs a proper legal, written agreement in place.
AFAIK almost any change of use will need PP. As far as the remains of the building is concerned, I have what was left of the old cottage here ( it's my workshop at the moment). Planning wouldn't give consent to turn it back into a house, even as a "granny annexe" for my mother in law. May be different there of course, but just because there was a building there doesn't seem to mean anything.

Couple of things really. If I were buying it I'd want to know what the agreement is with the person renting it at the moment.

When a new owner comes along any renting agreements are null and void.
So they will have too sling their hook. If thats what the new owner wants.

Couple of things really. If I were buying it I'd want to know what the agreement is with the person renting it at the moment.

When a new owner comes along any renting agreements are null and void.
So they will have too sling their hook. If thats what the new owner wants.
I don't think it's quite as simple as that if it's an agricultural tenancy. I'm pretty sure that the tenant is at least entitled to a period of notice, and may also be entitled to compensation for "improvements" if any have been made. The only way to be absolutely certain is to speak to a solicitor.

Possibly. Land laws are different here in NI anyway and different again in the republic.
But the landowner is King either side of the border and the laws reflect that.

Well just to update my friend has now managed to buy the land. He got the three acres for £12000 although a further 2 acres went for £11000 which he didn't get.
At the moment there is nothing on the land and the original owner was having problems getting someone to rent it for grazing hence the reason to sell. My friend has looked at trees and in wales and scotland the grants are higher something around the seven thousand mark he has told me. However, to throw another spanner in the works his wife is against the idea of planting it with trees. My friend , as I have said , isn't keen for it to be used for animals that will eventually go for slaughter what with him being a vegatarian but equally isn't keen on it being used for anything that would be as he describes it "an eyesore" which means my idea of dividing it up for allotments or putting a few polytunnels up has been dismissed.
His idea at the moment is to plant some silver birch around the outside to provide him with a source of firewood and maybe a few willow in the boggy end of the field. I can't help thinking when the field is waist deep in ragwort and thistle in 18 months time and he won't be able to get to his trees that's if he ever gets round to planting them.

Sponsored Links
Back