What to do with earth wire for LED transformer - what kind of cable ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Our lighting circuit is earthed ... I'm replacing 12 halogens with LED's using one of these

upload_2020-1-21_16-9-21.png

Just wondering what kind of cable I should use to connect this to the lighting circuit ? I can only find 3 core lighting cable -

can you get just 2 core ?
or should I use 3 core but tape back/cut off the earth wire ?

The halogen transformers don't use the earth either but their transformers had their own wires attached

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
A 12V x 1A power supply supply will provide a maximum of 12W, which is:

12 x 1W lamps
or
6 x 2W lamps
or
3 x 4W lamps
or
2 x 6W lamps

The earth wire should be safely isolated / insulated. I wouldn't cut it off, you never know, you might want to use it at some time in the future, and there's a risk the cut off wire might inadvertently touch one of the other terminals there isn't much room in those power supplies. Normally I terminate the 3 core cable in a junction box and then just run 2 core with N & L to the power supply.

A 12V x 1A power supply supply will provide a maximum of 12W, which is:

12 x 1W lamps
or
6 x 2W lamps
or
3 x 4W lamps
or
2 x 6W lamps

The earth wire should be safely isolated / insulated. I wouldn't cut it off, you never know, you might want to use it at some time in the future, and there's a risk the cut off wire might inadvertently touch one of the other terminals there isn't much room in those power supplies. Normally I terminate the 3 core cable in a junction box and then just run 2 core with N & L to the power supply.

Thanks :) yeah i'm using 1 driver per LED (sorry there was a typo in my original post 12 should have been 12V)

I would use mains leds. Forget the transformers, loads of hassle. Mains much easier just wire them up in a loop. Job done. More reliable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back