What to do with excess chandelier flex?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I would like to hang a chandelier in our living room, not a big heavy expensive one just a light weight one. Alot come with very long flexes and chain attached. Our ceiling isn't very high so I would need to shorten the chain by quite a bit. What do i do with the excess flex? I imagine it can't be cut very short? Can someone advise me please? Thankyou :confused:

Sponsored Links
In case the fitting ever needs relocating to a room with a higher ceiling, I leave the flex the length it was and push the slack into the void.

Thankyou for your help, much appreciated :D I just spoke to my husband and he was very embarrassed that I'd posted such an easy question on here :!: but he was outside re-roofing our house at the time so I couldn't ask him ;)

Sponsored Links
In case the fitting ever needs relocating to a room with a higher ceiling, I leave the flex the length it was and push the slack into the void.

how would this be achieved if the circuit is wired as 3 plate? Dont quite see how you can shove anything into a void?

I would just shorten the flex and if the fitting was required elsewhere just re-wire with new flex

how would this be achieved if the circuit is wired as 3 plate? Dont quite see how you can shove anything into a void?

You would terminate the cables from the ceiling with the flex to the fitting, then push the slack from both back into the ceiling void, leaving the connectors inside the rose.

I would just shorten the flex and if the fitting was required elsewhere just re-wire with new flex

It can be a real PIA to do, plus you have then altered the fitting, which may have implications.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back