What type of exterior wall finish Is this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My exterior wall (south facing - London) is flaking considerably. So I've read that the flaky paint should be removed before a stabiliser is used and then repainted.

I'm worried that I may need to render/pebble dash it again. Looking at these photos, is it a simple remove flaky paint, use a stabiliser and then repaint.

I've also 'heard' that you can use a jet wash to remove flaky paint. Is this something people have tried before?

Attachments

• IMG_20220901_134023.jpg
    IMG_20220901_134023.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20220901_134041.jpg
    IMG_20220901_134041.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20220901_134050.jpg
    IMG_20220901_134050.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20220901_134027.jpg
    IMG_20220901_134027.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 57
Sponsored Links
The paint is failing and not the rendering. Don't see why you need to re-render. I would just get as much of the flakes out as possible and then prime and repaint. Then next year do the same on anything you missed this time and do spot repaint if the paint blends fine. Over time you will have fewer and fewer failing spots.

Paint fails from low quality, or water getting underneath it. If you counter these factors you will have less work.

Thank you for your response.

Do you think jet washing Is an effective way to remove the flaky paint?

Secondly, what primer would you recommend? I'm assuming the whole wall would need to be primed and not just the edges where the old paint has been removed.

I would think pressure washing will do more harm than tackling it manually, you might end up having to patch in bits of plaster/dashing if you hit a bit that's blown from the wall.

Scrape off the loose bits of paint, seal with a stabiliser then give it a couple of coats with a good masonry paint, I've never used primer when painting dashing/render. But I will be prepared to be put straight by any painter/decorator types.

Good luck
(y)

Sponsored Links
I think jet wash is strong enough to remove the flakes and it might even be strong enough to damage the render. You will just have to try it and see. Depending on access and size of the area, even a stiff bristled broom could work. A wire brush on a stick is also an option if not too aggressive. If the render is delicate and access is easy, then manual de-flaking with a screwdriver, wood-chisel, and knife could work.

If cost isn't a consideration, I would prime the entire area to be painted. I don't have any paint recommendations because I never had to use masonry paint extensively. It's a bit of pot luck to find good paint. So try one and see how it performs over time. I have a personal fear of bulk/trade paints because those are designed with maintenance in mind - hence good for people doing trade.

I am no decorator type. I am the DIY type. My observation on primers is that they seal and they stick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back