What type of fire is this??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

About to rent out my house and been asked by tenants to replace boarded fire for electric ones.

I pulled off the wood panel to find this behind. What type is this, I have 2 in total.

Could these be put back into service instead of electric fires?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Coal fire with damper and sunken ash box!
Are you going to stand the electric fires on the hearth?
John :)

Coal fire with damper and sunken ash box!
Are you going to stand the electric fires on the hearth?

Thought the back was empty and was thinking of fitting an inset electric fire.

What would I need to get the coal fire working again?

You would need to ensure the chimney is in good condition i.e no loose bricks or holes etc for smoke to escape, get it swept and fit a wire rose on the pot so the birds can't get in.
The fire bricks and cheeks on that fire look OK from here.

Sponsored Links
You would need to ensure the chimney is in good condition i.e no loose bricks or holes etc for smoke to escape, get it swept and fit a wire rose on the pot so the birds can't get in.
The fire bricks and cheeks on that fire look OK from here.

would I need a grate to hold the coal or anything else?

Need to find someone local really who can check it all out for me. Do they need to be registered with any sort of association?

My thoughts would be is it boarded up just for cosmetic reasons or to stop howling winds blowing down the chimney. You may be better just to sit a fire on the hearth in front of the boarded opening.

My thoughts would be is it boarded up just for cosmetic reasons or to stop howling winds blowing down the chimney. You may be better just to sit a fire on the hearth in front of the boarded opening.

Any suggested fires?

Personally there's no way I'd allow an open fire in a rented property (at best a closed wood burner) but to answer your question it does look like the fire bars on that fire have collapsed somewhat.

Personally there's no way I'd allow an open fire in a rented property (at best a closed wood burner) but to answer your question it does look like the fire bars on that fire have collapsed somewhat.

Maybe I'll just board it back up and leave it as it is. There is heating in the house, and they will just need to put something in-front of it, as they wanted it as a decorative piece really.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back