What was your most costly mistake ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
livingroom ceiling fell down because of leaking fitting :(

Hand tight compression fitting :)

Sponsored Links
Well......

Back in the day, when i was a 3rd year apprentice i went with my journeyman and a new start apprentice to a boiler change. It was the 2nd day and the customer wanted pipes rerouted under the floor of a cupboard for a new rad. I got sent upstairs to do it with the new lad while my journeyman was fitting the new boiler.

So I set myself up, taking up a couple of boards and fed pipes from both sides to meet under this hatch to be joined.

My boss, being the cheapskate that he was, only ever gave us hairfelt to "insulate" the pipes, so i had pushed this on before i fed the pipes through.

I pulled the felt back and began sweating a coupling on, showing the young lad how it was done :oops: !!!

My journeyman came upstairs asking what I had burned just after I had finished doin the fitting, and I couldnt smell anything as I was choked up with the cold.

Long story short the hairfelt must have caught a spark, ran along the pipe, into the void and up into the attic.

Me and my journeyman dived into the void, it was seriously ablaze by this time, went up really really quickly, and we managed to put it out by stiffling it with the glass wool and the young lad running back and forward to the toilet with buckets of water!!!!

By this time though, the attic was well up and I had to go downstairs and ask the customer to phone the fire brigade.

3 fire engines later it was out. Took abt an hour to put it out.

It was lucky in some respects as the folk had only been in the house for 2 weeks, so they had nothing in the attic eg photos, old irreplacable things, and the guy was so sound about it.

I was absolutly gutted at the time and I couldnt look anyone in the eye, as the woman was crying and my boss was up at the job goin mental, but the guy came over to me, winked, and said " dont worry about it son, i hope my computers f**ked, i was needing a new one anyway"!

Sponsored Links
Ha possum jenkins, wish all customers were that sound.

I heard that my tutor had capped off a pipe in his early plumbing days with a 22mm compression stop end after removing a hot water cylinder, and that came off that night.

Must have caused a bit of damage :)

conducting an insulation test without unplugging the new lcd tv, wouldnt mind but it was big enough not to miss!!!!

Not me but one of the apprentices PAT tested our expensive PCB drill, blew the bejeezas out of the field effect devices in it.

One of the engineers was ready to take him outside & slap some sense into him.

Ah well, the new drill is much better :D

I think my most costly mistake was getting into building instead of getting a job as a lawyer or commodity dealer in the city :(

Accidentally fell through someones brand new conservatory roof and my insurance expired the day before. I was getting quotations the same day and planned to call new ins co later on that day. Took my credit card to work and everything.

Customer was a police officer, lol

Accidentally fell through someones brand new conservatory roof and my insurance expired the day before. I was getting quotations the same day and planned to call new ins co later on that day. Took my credit card to work and everything.

Customer was a police officer, lol

nice :)

Going self-employed,getting involved with accountants and definately getting involved with the tax man;

What has the Inland Revenue and a Stork got in common?

They can both stick their bills up their Ar...s

Sponsored Links
Back