what wiring do i need

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i have an bird avery at the bottom of my garden and i want to install a light in it, it will be on a timer which will be plugged into a socket in the kitchen what type of wiring do you recommend for the job cheers

Sponsored Links
What are you wanting to light? The birds aren't afraid of the dark.
Providing electricity externally is expensive and has a lot of regulations attached.
If it's just a bit of light now and again google solar lighting and you'll get lights powered for free, and no hassle.

Edit: I get do p155ed off sometimes.
Did you never hear of google? I searched there and got a hundred ready made products like this http://www.flytesofancy.co.uk/chickenhouses/Solar_Powered_Lighting_Kit.html

Can you cope (coop) now?

hi i have an bird avery at the bottom of my garden and i want to install a light in it, it will be on a timer which will be plugged into a socket in the kitchen what type of wiring do you recommend for the job cheers

I would recommend, respectfully, you get an electrician to look it over and install a hard wired system, rather than just plug it in.

Particular attention should be paid to armoured cable, weather proofing, RCD protection and more.

Sponsored Links
Surely the best answer would be not to lock the birds up in the first place, then they wouldn't need to have their UV topped up?

Or am I missing something?

Probably for use in the daytime, so the birds get the correct exposure to UV light etc.

Not a DIY job.
thats correct Flameport as i have purchased an Arcadia bird lamp as ive just got into breeding budgies and when the days are dull and in the winter months they need the uv light from the bulb to substitute the suns rays for to keep them healthy

Providing electricity externally is expensive and has a lot of regulations attached.
If it's just a bit of light now and again google solar lighting and you'll get lights powered for free, and no hassle.

Edit: I get do p155ed off sometimes.
Did you never hear of google? I searched there and got a hundred ready made products like this http://www.flytesofancy.co.uk/chickenhouses/Solar_Powered_Lighting_Kit.html

Can you cope (coop) now?
no good for what i need it for perhaps i should have explained better, have a look at my response to Flameprt to get a better understanding

Surely the best answer would be not to lock the birds up in the first place, then they wouldn't need to have their UV topped up?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dont understand this comment

Don't mind him, he's not likely to help you, just try and impress his opinion on you. It's like a one-man religion.

Don't mind him, he's not likely to help you, just try and impress his opinion on you. It's like a one-man religion.
thanks for the tip off Monkeh as i get where you are coming from ,theres always ONE

dont understand this comment
Sorry - I thought it was fairly clear.

Flameport thought that the light was probably for use in the daytime, so the birds get the correct exposure to UV light etc.

To which my response was that surely the best answer would be not to lock the birds up in the first place, then they wouldn't need to have their UV topped up?

Is that really so hard to understand?

Since you disagree with my opinion, I'd be interested in your opinion of what constitutes a sound and moral argument in favour of caging animals for personal amusement/entertainment/interest.

I'm sorry that you find the idea of morality, and real life, and concerns about real imprisonment of real animals something to be mocked.

It does not say much good about you.

Perhaps if someone posted asking for how to install and wire up a pinhole camera in his bathroom so that he could secretly film his sister's young children when they came to stay you'd advise him, would you, on the grounds that real life is off topic?

I'm sorry that you find the idea of morality, and real life, and concerns about real imprisonment of real animals something to be mocked.
I wish this ti t would lighten up a bit.
It does not say much good about you.

Perhaps if someone posted asking for how to install and wire up a pinhole camera in his bathroom so that he could secretly film his sister's young children when they came to stay you'd advise him, would you, on the grounds that real life is off topic?

What an utterly ridiculous suggestion!

It does make me wonder what darkness exists in the mind of a person if (s)he is prepared try to taint a persons opinion with suggestions of peadophilia, disgraceful!

Sheddy (won't be, but) should be ashamed of himself!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back