What would a profesional do? converting a ceiling rose to JB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Sorry to be a pain but could i have some proffessional advice.

I am replacing my existing ceiling light with 2 downlights and in the process intended on just converting my ceiling rose to a junction box and hanging the lights of the JB. I then intended on attatching the JB to the floor beams in the ceiling void accessible from screwed floorboards above.

However I am now informed that JBs have to be accessible - what would you as professionals do in this situation? Would you just use crimps or is there any other solution i can consider.

Hopefully my diagram below will explain the situation i am faced with clearer.

I have taken a look at the existing wiring and sadly there is not enough slack in the cable to reach the first downlighter directly, even if i unclipped the cable and routed it directly, the existing cable would not reach. The only way i can see that i can make the existing cable reach is by using crimps/JBs.

I have looked at running complete new cable - but this would be a massive headache as i would have to lift the flooring in half the house - as a last resort i would consider this :)

Are there any techniques/tips of the trade i can use to avoid this?

Any advice is welcomed.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
By crimping an extension on to the original loop and sheathing with heat shrink sleeving you would be ok as it is a permanent joint.
The extended lead could then be fed to one of your d/l's and from there a lead taken to your other d/l.

(Sits back and waits to get flamed for this.... )

there is no reg that says a jb has to be accsesable as long as it is fully enclosed and of the correct size

Sponsored Links
Oh no?

Whats about

526.3 Every connection shall be accessible for inspection, testing and maintenance, except for the following:
(i) A joint designed to be buried in the ground
(ii) A compound - filled or encapsulated joint
(i i i ) A connection between a cold tail and the heating element as in ceiling heating, floor heating or a trace
heating system
(i v) A joint made by welding , soldering, brazing or appropriate compression tool
( v) A joint forming part of the equipment complying with the appropriate product standard.

?

Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary said:
Definition

accessible adjective /əkˈses.ə.bl ̩/ adj
• able to be reached or easily got
The resort is easily accessible by road, rail and air.
The problem with some of these drugs is that they are so very accessible.

Oh no?

Whats about

526.3 Every connection shall be accessible for inspection, testing and maintenance, except for the following:

?

out of interest, what is deemed 'accessible'?

personally i would say that a screwed board under a carpet would be easily accessable, but what happens when suddenly Mrs want a laminate floor? so i would not put a JB under a floor and would loop from one light to the other.

Under any floor anywhere IMO is not accesible.

Have you ever had to try and fault find on a circuit when you know there is a junction box somewhere, but youve got no idea where it is?

It 's under a floor. The board has been screwed down and "joint box below" has been written on it. Then a carpet has been laid on top. Great thats nice and accessible.

Well at least it will be when youve moved the two double wardrobes, one of which collapses, the bed, dressing table, bed side cabinets, book shelf and chest of drawers to get the carpet up and find the joint in the first place :rolleyes:

Screwed joints should not be hidden. Lazyness or incompetence are the only two reasons why you would install one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back