What would you do if you had over £700m in your bank?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would buy acres of land and have like minded people working for each other in a sort of cooperative society, buy a few fishing boats, vineyards and a few other projects, people would have child minders in the community, we would care for the elderly, have garages to repair cars etc and have training area's in the various departments where children could learn a life skill, people would not have to work 24/7 for peanuts trying to make ends meet..

Sponsored Links
No you wouldn't. I know this because you have a fraction of their money, yet with your money you don't do an equal fraction of what you speak of.

Please don't confuse spending other peoples money with how you spend your own.

No you wouldn't. I know this because you have a fraction of their money, yet with your money you don't do an equal fraction of what you speak of.

Please don't confuse spending other peoples money with how you spend your own.
For once, I agree with you.

For a capitalist concerned about his money he has a very communist outlook

Sponsored Links
We (Mrs G and me) very recently had a 'what-if' chat along similar lines. We wondered about £4 million- cos that's a possibility with lotteries. We came up with... one million to our only child; (up to) one million to make all our nearest and dearest secure; one for us; and the fourth to use for any philanthropic uses we settled on.

I'm sure the idea of giving (God forbid) anything to the needy is totally alien to many people on here.

Last edited:
ask for a 5k fee for all the inconvenience and worry off the situation

I would use it to perform a great good for the country, although in a rather devious way. I'd create a "Psy-Op" in which a commonplace minor illness, say hay fever, is hyped up to become a major killer of mankind due to a new strain of it having emerged. I'd pay a number of bent scientists to create reports about this deadly new strain, and I'd then disseminate these to all the major (and minor) media outlets, paying them all of course, to brainwash the population.

AND THEN I'd get a few bent doctors and morticians to certify 9 out of every 10 deaths as being due to "Sneeze23". This would create mass hysteria for a couple of weeks - and then I would announce that the cure has been discovered: BEER!

Not just any beer though; only fresh beer will work, on draught served in a pub. I'd pay a few bent MPs to rush through emergency powers whereby all closed pubs were reopened and all breweries put on overtime. All spending on other countries will be stopped and the funds fed into the pubs and breweries.

Everybody must have boosters at least three times a week.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would buy acres of land and have like minded people working for each other in a sort of cooperative society, buy a few fishing boats, vineyards and a few other projects, people would have child minders in the community, we would care for the elderly, have garages to repair cars etc and have training area's in the various departments where children could learn a life skill, people would not have to work 24/7 for peanuts trying to make ends meet..
Great in theory but you're looking at your ideal mini society through rose-tinted glasses. At some point it would start to crumble. Why? Because humankind is flawed. We can't help it. At some point, somebody would start using one of the community fishing boats to smuggle drugs and/or people. One of the child minders would be exposed as being in the Gary Glitter fan club if you catch my drift. Someone would bump off one of the (rich) elderly folk to get their hands on the £££ etc etc.

Call me jaded/cynical if you like, however we are incapable of creating anything that remains good, wholesome etc.

Thank you all very much for your replies, hopefully I have got a few dorks and denzos actually thinking.
The reason I posted this is the guy who is our PM.
WITH SO MUCH MONEY, WHY DOES HE WANT TO BE A POLITICIAN?

Attachments

• IMG_20230429_212850.jpg
    IMG_20230429_212850.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 23
Money is like air.

When you're short of it, it's massively important.

When you're not, it isn't

I'm sure his wife lets him have enough pocket money

Look up Maslow’s hierarchy of needs.

1682993020881.png

Thank you all very much for your replies, hopefully I have got a few dorks and denzos actually thinking.
The reason I posted this is the guy who is our PM.
WITH SO MUCH MONEY, WHY DOES HE WANT TO BE A POLITICIAN?
Do not ever underestimate the desire to have power over others.

Money is like horse sh¡t, if you let it pile up it stinks. But, if you spread it around, it can do a lot of good.

Sponsored Links
Back