What would you put in a new kitchen?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks

We are currently having an extension built and I wondered what HA gadgets you would be considering in my position?

Realistically the works are contained to kitchen, bathrooom and bedroom but if we have Spark in we can consider others.

I'm open to ideas as I'm not up on HA at all. We won't have a lot of money left over so nothing extravagant!

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Well that's not to bad then, but personally, I've no idea what HA gadgets are so can't help.

Highways Agency, Health Affairs, Hectares?

Imagine if I posted in the Home Automation forum though and used the abbreviation HA or is it an acronym?

Is using HA frowned upon or something? As I said I'm not versed in Home Automation.

That's why I've asked for ideas for Home Automation, I'm having some building work done and though it would be useful to at least consider Home Automation.

The gadgets I was thinking of would be lighting etc but I'm not sure what other types of Home Automation there are.

I definitely fancy controlling lights from a security perspective.

Cheers

Sorry Steve, but I I googled HA Gadgets, and got all sort of daft results, so had no ideas. I've just purchased an Amazon echo, and am researching lighting systems, so still a novice myself, but whilst it's going to get more common, there's a lot of diversity at the minute. Hive lights only use screw fittings, but will link with their heating thermostat. And some systems have the circuitry built into the light itself, whilst others need you to change the light switch, but then allow ordinary light to be used. Amazon are also about to release a routines, so you say Alexa good night, and it'll go through several swich off routines, rather than having to do each one in turn.

But Google home now allows you to designate different units as "living room" or "kitchen", so you can tell the living room to stop playing music, and tell the kitchen to start playing it before you get there.

Just search for home automation product or gadgets, and it's amazing what comes up. Have a look at the Samnsung family hub, and see where you can really go.

That's about the best I can do for you at the minute, but if this is any use to you, then I'll keep you updated as I get more info. Unless someone else steps in first of course.

Sponsored Links
Haha cheers doggit. No problem and no need to apologise.

I'm thinking thermostat and lighting at the moment but you never know I might get an idea from here for something completely different.

I know you can get all sorts of things - auto curtains and blinds etc but for me it's basics at the moment.

I'll be doing some research as well - thanks for the info.

As there are several ways to go, I'd do some serious research first, as some system (hive especially) don't seem to be compatible with others. Some lighting system will work from an app, so like the heating, you can switch them on or off away from home, and then there's the cameras for home security that you might want to add the wiring so they can be done later. But the overall caveat here, is that some of these system can be hacked so caution as to what you add.

And the last thought, is a wired alarm whereby you'd get the cabling emebedded before the plastering stage - I dislike wireless systems.

Cheers we are sorted for an alarm. It's wirelsss though - a Pyronix Enforcer as recommended on here.

The only problem I've had is door sensors being accidentally knocked and one smashed off this week when the builders ripped the side passage down.

Well I'm glad you asked this - something I am in a very similar position to asking a few months down the line as I'm mid way through a kitchen extension build - slow progress single handed.

So far I've been mulling over the following possibilities all Alexa controlled via the £50 echo dot:

Glass+ light switch - A modern looking touch sensitive light switch that can be controlled by Alexa and also a mobile phone app to turn off/on/set timers from anywhere. The beauty of this seems to be that you can have your regular led spots connected as opposed to having to buy loads of those philips hue bulbs. 1, 2 or 3 gang - don't think you can have a 2 way switch but I'm investigating this. Also need a neutral feed to the switch. This company also sells regular plug adapters that work the same via Alexa or phone app. https://wifiplug.co.uk/wifiplug-glass-plus/

Also considered the PIR option of kitchen lights - you walk into the room and the lights come on - go off after a couple of minutes of inactivity. But, what if you're sitting perfectly still watching tv? Wave your arms about?! What if you just want the under cupboard lights on for dim light? Not too sure about that option

Lithe audio ceiling speakers - these ceiling speakers can connect up to Alexa - so the voice comes through the speakers. You can then play music through them by either telling Alexa to do this or just use bluetooth from your phone or whatever. https://www.buycleverstuff.co.uk/li...65-master--slave-ceiling-speakers-26110-p.asp

Any other ideas I'd love to hear. I think its a balance of doing stuff that is useful but not too gimmicky - for instance, the light switches can be used normally. If you walk into your kitchen, it might be quicker to press the switch as you walk in the door rather than say "Alexa, turn on the main kitchen lights" then have the 2 second delay as it does this.....

Also currently in the market for some HA so would love to jump in here. Got a full DIY house renovation ongoing.

Really like the idea of those Glass+ switches, would like to see how well they work.

Also considered the Lithe audio ceiling speakers + a couple Amazon Echos but I think I might just buy a few Sonos Ones (released Oct 24th) instead as they have fully fledged inbuilt Alexa now and the sound they produce is phenomenal to my non audiophile ears.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back