What you make of this...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With weather getting better I have got outside with our new house and started investigating the electrics out there.
Now we have two switches inside, one for the patio lights, all working fine, another switch.. does nothing... there are some outside lights near the shed but they don't seem to be connected to anything, not live and no connection it seems.

Anyway, took this cover off and the switch does wire to this, the cable that is connected is the Live, I can only assume the other one is neutral? Why it's not doing anything I have no idea, maybe was a plan for something in the future from previous owners?
thinking of taking that switch off and replacing it with a junction box.

out01.jpg

Then there is the feed from a kitchen socket outside which goes to the shed for two sockets. No RCD on these sockets or anything...

out02.jpg

out03.jpg

Plan to pull that back and place with external socket with RCD.

Sponsored Links
Looking at the switch, there used to be two neutrals connected (you can see the cut remains poking out the choc block) and the switched lives have been snipped at the switch plates, so its been connected to something before the since removed.

Love the twin and earth strung thru the garden, must've been the same cowboy that wired up the sheds here by burying twin and earth in the gravel!

That last picture actually made me laugh. As if the guy used conduit saddles to support the cable but forgot the actual conduit.

None of it really looks fit for purpose. I would rip it all out and start again, and get it done/do it properly. I can only assume there was already a hole in the wall and he didn't remove half a brick to get a piece of 2.5 out of the wall!

Sponsored Links
rip it all out and start again, and get it done/do it properly.
blank_65x10_T.gif
whssign.gif

Don't bother replacing switches with JBs etc - remove every last bit of cable back to the source, and start again, from scratch, properly.

I bet that pyro is ok to reuse ;)
What/which pyro?
The socket / switch in the first picture is fed in pyro.
How can you tell that's pyro?

Kind Regards, John

I agree looks like pyro. You can see the black sheaths one of which has been identified with Blue tape. Also looks like a bush in the bottom of the box perhaps connecting a galv coupler Into which the pyro is terminated.

I agree looks like pyro. You can see the black sheaths one of which has been identified with Blue tape. Also looks like a bush in the bottom of the box perhaps connecting a galv coupler Into which the pyro is terminated.
Maybe, but i don't think I'd put money on it - as you will have seen, others thought that 'the pyro' was the brown something lying on the grass! In passing ... it's 'interesting' that the black sheathed conductor which has been identified with blue tape is not the one which is connected to stumps of two blue-insulated conductors!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back