Whats going on here? Neutral burnt with photos

If possible add another dual socket where there is good cable and then a short bit of new cable to the existing location.

Might avoid the use of an extension lead.

Sponsored Links
I have told them never to use a heater powered from an extension lead.

It is a good idea Bernard but alas too late.

No an IEC is definitely required on this occasion. :LOL:

Yeees; interesting point. I would have thought so too.... :!:

I did take the top off of the plug to the extension lead and it looked all brand new, not a smidgen of burning, discoloration or anything untowards at all.

Now they may have had something completely different plugged in a hour before I arrived for all I know and as landlords are all too keen to pass the cost of rectification of faults on to the tenant they might have swapped it for something innocuous before I arrived.

I wonder if anyone else has any experience of 13A fuses failing to pop when they should do?

Martin

Sponsored Links
A 13A fuse should go long before you get damage like that. Fan heater or no.

No it won't because the current is not greater than 13 amps.

It depends on the resistance of the defective joint but worst case is when the resistance of the defective joint equals the resistance of the load.

In that situation with a 3 Kw heater plugged in the joint will be dissapating 750 watts

Resistance of 3 Kw heater = 18 ohms
total resistance = 36 ohms
current = 230 / 36 = 6.4 amps

voltage shared between joint and heater equally as they are equal resistances in series.

Wattage in joint = 115 x 6.4 = 735 watts

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back