What's in a (sur)name?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The manager of a large office asked a new employee to come into his office. "What is your name?," was the first thing the manager asked. "John," the new guy replied. The manager scowled. "Look, I don't know what kind of a namby-pamby place you worked at before, but I don't call anyone by their first name! It breeds familiarity and that leads to a breakdown in authority," he said. "I refer to my employees by their last name only - Smith, Jones, Baker - that's all. Now that we got that straight, what is your last name?"

The new guy sighed and said, "Darling. My name is John Darling."

The manager said, "Okay, John, the next thing I want to tell you..."

Sponsored Links
Reminded of Joe Heller's nugget 'Catch 22' ......
The character Major Major was promoted to a 'Major', he then only let people see him in his office, when he was not there..... :D :D :D

Mess officer Milo Minderbender bombing his own squadron for profit... not a mile from reality was it?
:D :D :D

Sponsored Links
:LOL: :LOL: Gunner Reah.........Able Seaman Staines.......Private Parts......Major I. Swater........Colonel Condom(real life)

Emma Royd - true. Name of a child I nursed years ago. Poor thing must be about mid to late 20's by now.

Melena - true. Name chosen for newly born baby girl. When parent's were asked why Melena? They said they had heard it mentioned by a nurse whilst visiting a relative in hospital and thought it would make a beautiful name for a girl. Check out Melaena (pronounced Melena) in google! BTW, the parents changed their minds about the name once we had enlightened them.

new an accident prone bloke at a factory in town, allways putting himself and others near him in peril.......name.....dave granger!

The only real-life examples I can think of are Dutch, so no use here
(but nice to see you all seem to enjoy this topic ;))

A cousin of mine has the surname: Alcock, not too bad on its own, but when she named her son Ben, well.............B Alcock, I hope he becomes a plumber :LOL:

When doing my apprenticeship, the lathes instructor was called Mr. Turner, and I once had a landlord where I had to make the cheques out to Mr. P.Ness, which gave me a smile once a month (until I got to the second line of the cheque, obviously).

Not quite a Richard Head, but one of my cousins was very nearly called "Richard Edward Gray". Fortunately they reaslised befored it was too late that not only would it shorten to "Dick Ed" but also give him the initials "REG", so they changed their minds...

Sponsored Links
Back