Whats the Bora 1.9 TDI cam belt change intervals?

Is that PAS tank in the way?
You can shunt the engine over a fair way to the near side, to help shift that mounting.
I keep a jack under the sump corner to help with this but I remember they can be difficult.
John :)

Sponsored Links
The local VW reckon the engine bracket is a worked around, it stays in place.

Only issue is the two bolts that hold the bracket to the wing bracket. One's a bit chewed on the end so new ones from VW. Hopefully the bracket thread will clean up.

The last PD engine I did was on an 07 plate Skoda Fabia, late last summer. I'm sure I had to take the bracket off, and getting in to those countersunk bolts was a sod.
Delighted to be corrected of course.....maybe you can work the belt round, but access is even more restricted!
Keep us informed - countless people are being put off timing belt replacement as we speak :eek:

Have returned form VW with the new bolts and its turns out the ones I took out were not the right ones.

Provided I can clean the threads in the bracket holes, all should be well.
Will probably use one of the old bolts, power file some gaps in the thread so it acts like plug tap.

All the other bolts I took out just need a wire brushing.

Lost daylight now so will resume am!

Sponsored Links
When I was at VW, they said the three bolts that fix the bracket to the engine block are a bit soft and prone to snapping when torqued up.

The ones I took out look healthy enough.

Can I trust them not to snap?

I may need to get a new bracket if the threads won't clean up.

A lot on ebay that look like mine such as this one. Are there any variations?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I'm afraid I can't stick my neck out to such an extent as to say that they won't snap....only it's never happened to me before - I've never found them so tight.
Engine mount wise I'm sure you'll be able to restore the threads as per your last post - just go carefully and spray some lube on.

Needs new engine mount bracket. Threads are totally chewed. The bolts wobble when screwed in.

Plenty on ebay. Although the the two letters are different on the end, the 036199207 number seems to be common.

I blame VW for a crap engine bay layout.

The bracket has to be in situ to fit the belt due to space constrictions. You have to move it around as you go.

The bracket's top fix is above the tensioner and water pump and can't get through the gap between them.

I've got a bracket ordered up and due Friday. 2nd of ebay so I'm trusting the seller that the threads are in good order.

I'm disappointed with the timing tool kit I bought. The crank lock fits but the camshaft peg wouldn't go in. Ended up using a drill bit. I really only locked the shafts as a precaution. I'm not going to loosen the sprocket.

On hold now til the bracket arrives.

Apologies to all for such a long posting by the way.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
There spaketh a man who's had enough for one day!
I've done 3 Skoda, 2 Golfs and one SEAT with the pumpe Duse engine, but not a Bora. Obviously the engines are almost identical but the under bonnet layout may not be.....that bracket must be a real pain.
Time to give it a break anyway!
Good luck when you continue.

This will teach him not to volunteer to work on family member's cars !

This one's my own car!

Changing the belt is the cheaper option. Changing the engine if the belt breaks is the expensive option.

Always a plus to be had in any situation!

It'll come right in the end....we'd appreciate a pic of the knackered bracket in due course, if you can be bothered.

Photos as requested. Waiting for the replacement bracket to arrive.

Apparently, the bolts torque to 100Nm. Seems high for aluminum!

yze55.jpg

The damage!

2itfn01.jpg

Gulp! Gotta do a belt on our old PD engine Golf runabout soon. Well overdue. No doubt it will all turn to shyte the minute I lay hands on it!

Sponsored Links
Back