Whats the Bora 1.9 TDI cam belt change intervals?

I feel sorry for DIY spanner. His family seem to dump all their old cars on him for repair. My days of doing that are well over, they weren't grateful anyhow.

My policy is no cold days and no rainy days.

On the plus side, the satisfaction of a job well done and done properly.

A few years ago the Hyundai dealer was going to charge £350 to change my sister's i20 brakes.
I got it done for £100.

Sponsored Links
I got a torque wrench just to keep the job right when I do it.

For anyone interested this diagram, provided by the app I linked above, is for the VW ATD engine timing belt.

If the diagram is not an accurate procedure, you'd need to contact the fella that created the app!

w0mko7.jpg

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
The diagram is from an Autodata book so it should be spot on. These were great books until they decided to stop publishing them and going to an online system.

Sponsored Links
Talkative chap!
Id still like to see those cam sprocket bolts roughly in the middle of their slots on reassembly.

There's certainly enough in the 5L tub to do 50% in both the Bora and the Punto although I've always done 33% in the past. Not really arctic in Co. Durham although there's the good old wind chill when driving along freezing up the radiator.

The amount of times I've had to explain why cars can overheat when in freezing conditions.

Regarding flushing, I can do a certain amount with w/pump removed.

I could take the feed/return pipes for the matrix off at the engine and flush the matrix directly.

I did that with a Hyundai i20 a while back.

It getting the dregs from the bottom of the engine block and behind the stat that's always the bother.

I wouldn't worry too much....with the bottom rad hose off and the pump out, there won't be much left at all!
John :)

Well what a let down!

The Gates belt kit arrived yesterday but it had already ready had the factory seals broken and only the water pump was still in its sealed bag, the guide pulley and tensioner were just sitting in the box.

I queried this with the ebay merchant and they reckon they open the boxes to check the right parts are inside and that Gates only seal the water pump in a bag. What nonsense in my opinion.

It'll have to returned as I can't trust all the parts are right - pity and a hassle.

Last edited:
I think the last gates kit i had was the same but seals were intact. I would not buy critical items like this from ebay, its too full of chancers and fake stuff.

The seller claims they open every box to check for any damage in transit.

If Gates were having issue with damaged goods from transit, they would be on the ball about it and improve packaging.

The vendor is talking ******.....it will be stuff that has been sold and then returned - probably unwanted.
Have you priced stuff from a motor factors? Mine (A.V.Taylor) is very competitive and some of their stuff is sourced from Maccess, I believe.
John :)

I've asked for, and they've agreed to send another kit box, sealed, tomorrow.

If that's no good, I'll send both back, not just the one I've already got.

I'm on with the job now at long last.

Very congested at the front of the engine.

I removed the header tank for access. The PAS pump is bolted to the engine mount but I don't intend to disturb the PAS is I can help it

Neatly there on removal. Just the engine bracket to remove which seems impossible at present. Won't go up, won't go down -

hu3ghh.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back