what's the limit of...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

after just finishing the kitchen the mrs and i have decided to move the fridge/freezer to the other side of the room. this means that the washing machine, and 2 sockets and fridge/freezer on a 15amp radial. my builder seems to think this is all cushtee, but i think it would be worth uprating the radial (wired in 2.5 T&E) to 20 amp? Or is 32A possible if i replace the rewireable fuses with MCBs. And yes this will be p'eed.

Sponsored Links
Depending on the cable run you might be able to protect the 2.5mm² radial with a 20A MCB (max.)

Give us some more info regarding the distance from CU to kitchen, the conditions the cable runs in (in insulation, conduit, clipped direct etc.) and we should be able to confirm whether it is safe to increase the CPD.

many thanks for the prompt reply davey_owen!

CU is about 2m from the kitchen. The radial is run up into the loft (it's a bungalow) and down into the kitchen chased into a wall inside pvc conduit to the first socket, then under the floor and up into first socket (chased+conduit) then under floor again then up into counter-top sockets (chased+conduit) and terminates in one of the counter-top sockets. I would estimate the total cable run to be around 10m at the most.

cheers!

How easy would it be to run a cable from the last socket back to the CU? Being a bungalow.....cant be tooooo hard? Could have 32amps then ;)

Sponsored Links
yeh it could be done but i would prefer to avoid it unless absolutely necessary since i'd have to move the corner cabinet which is a real bugger!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back