whats this router bit called

Thanks for that, I'll order a cutter soon. Regarding the sizes, I also thought they were a fair bit out, I'll see what the wood shop has, if they have metric I'll follow the metric sizes, if they have 9/16ths MDF then I'll stick to the imperial sizes.

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
If you are going to the local "wood shop" you will probably only be offered 12mm or 18mm board and that will likely be a cheap grade of board.

You will not find imperial sized board and will have to go to a decent panel supplier for 15mm board, ask for a known make such as Caber or Medite, this will give you a better surface finish in the end. What area of the country are you in.

Jason

Oh dear !
that messes things up a bit, I really need it pretty close or the plans wont go to plan - if yu get my meaning.
Im in Blackburn, Lancs.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
9/16ths is 14.3mm so 15mm is pretty close. Travis Perkins usually stock decent quality 15mm but they are expensive, I would guess about £13/sheet, not too bad if you only need 1 or 2.

hi,

Thers a TP literally round the corner, didnt realise they sold wood and stuff though. The plans I have show all the parts cut out of a 4 ft square sheet, but in my case its likely to be smaller sheets as a 4' square just aint fitting into my car!

Jasonb said:
The bracketed metric sizes are a bit optimistic. a 1.5mm slot cutter is a lot closer to 1/16" than 2mm. You will also have to use 15mm MDF and make allowance for this as it may affect the size of other components
They certainly are - don't believe what's on the packet! As Jason says the "real" size of a router cutter may be plus or minus 0.5mm from it's marked size.

Eggplant - if you want sheet stock in Blackburn try Holdex. Good range of sheet stock and they have a panel saw so they can cut to size, as well (although you'll have to book in advance for Saturday cutting as they don't always have a saw man then). Good door supplier if you're ever interested.

Scrit

Thanks for that, though I dont recall ever seeing Holdex on my travels, I'll have a look though, project has been put back a week or so due to me having loads of work on at the moment but if things go to plan I'll visit Holdex this saturday for a nosel.

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back