whats wrong with my boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a worcester/bosch 24i junior. when its switched on it makes a trickling sound (like something filling up) and then the pilot tries to fire and it booms. it does this a few times then goes into error...

Sponsored Links
I have the British Gas badged Worcester 532 boiler which had a similar problem a few months ago - ie booming sound, water trickling sound followed by lockout with EA code 'flame not detected'.

After 3 visits British Gas fixed it - a drain pipe running from the boiler to the condensate trap was partially blocked with grit. This was causing a backlog of waste water and gas that couldnt escape. If the boiler was turned off long enough (for the waste to escape) the boiler would work for several days before locking out again.

I dont know if your boiler works on the same principle but you might have a blocked pipe somewhere.

Could what you say be the reason for a continuous churning water noise inside the boiler, this is a problem I have with a new installation and some work was done to the condenser pipe and other pipework . Could this be a possible cause of the noise?(as no one seems to be able to understand what is causing this noise)

I went to one after neither a BG man nor a Worcester engineer could fix it.

It gave a churning noise and was a condensate problem.

I dont understand why neither of the other two could identify the problem.

The landlady finally paid her bill for that last week after a very long time. I was less concerned in this case as she is an economics lecturer at LSE. Perhaps there is a lesson to be learnt there?

Tony

Sponsored Links

The landlady finally paid her bill for that last week after a very long time. I was less concerned in this case as she is an economics lecturer at LSE. Perhaps there is a lesson to be learnt there?

Tony

C'mon Tony an EA error especially in winter may have had a BG baffled, but for Worcester? Oh yeh, sorry :LOL:

The Worcester man said he had never heard anything like it before!

I had not either, but it only took me about three minutes to get the case off and them I immediately saw the problem.

The cause was further down the line.

Tony

Could what you say be the reason for a continuous churning water noise inside the boiler, this is a problem I have with a new installation and some work was done to the condenser pipe and other pipework . Could this be a possible cause of the noise?(as no one seems to be able to understand what is causing this noise)

Sorry, you have all lost me now!! could this water running, churning noise be a problem with the condenser pipe or other pipework do you think, as it seems to have baffled heating people?

What they are saying is, you have a problem with the condensate drainage from the boiler.

It will either be in the "Trap" which is inside the boiler, Bottom left had side at the front.

Or you have some sort of blockage in the pipe work that is connected to the trap.

If you have had some sort of work done on the condensate pipe then thats where i would be looking first.

That sounds plausible. IS this something that needs sorting out immediatlely or not - ie is it dangerous or would that boiler just lock out if it became a real problem? Thanks.

That sounds plausible. IS this something that needs sorting out immediatlely or not - ie is it dangerous or would that boiler just lock out if it became a real problem? Thanks.
depends on boiler, could end up flooding out, damaging electrical parts. get it seen to asap

Tony

So when you say a condensate problem...? Was it full of 'yuk' or needed draining or??? Just had a look at it and the 'runoff' thru the wall is flat ( no 50mm in every meter ) but its only the piece going thru the wall then there is a good drop to the soil pipe, if this was blocked would it cause the symtoms in my original post?. :)

I have not seen your boiler nor tested it!

I can only make guesses or state the generalities.

It needs investigation and the condensate drain needs testing!

Tony

YOUR SUPERSTARS!! JUST SAVED ME A FORTUNE. the condensate outlet thingy was stuffed with ( iron? ) silt. took it off cleaned it out and hey presto my boiler works again!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!

Well Tony, you were spot on with your guess. true I'll have to have the waste checked but for now i'm just happy you helpped me get the boiler working :))

Could anything else cause this water running noise in the boiler do you know? If it wasn't the condenser problem, is there any other scenario that would cause this type of noise? thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back