What's YOUR preferred way to split firewood?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got quite a lot (two large trees in rounds) of wood to split and store. I currently have a Fiskar splitting axe or a Wood grenade and a very heavy sledgehammer. THe former works great when it works, but on some logs it just gets stuck or even bounces off - we have some that are good to burn but very twisted grain.

Is it worth different tools/techniques for different types of log? What's your preferred technique(s) and tool(s)?

Sponsored Links
Invest in an electric / hydraulic log splitter from Machine Mart or similar.....it will handle almost anything. If you are faced with a log with really entwined grain, some help with a chainsaw to make it smaller will get you going. Difficult ones may need approaching from another grain direction. You won't regret the purchase!
Split the logs when they are still green - they will give up much more easily than if they are seasoned.
John :)

Invest in an electric / hydraulic log splitter from Machine Mart or similar

I have looked at these* and they are expensive if you are not using them regularly. If you have open fires and fuel them from your trees then this makes sense. If it is just a couple of trees to dispose of then it doesn't.

*I have wood to split and at time it is very hard manually. I have a large garden with lots of mature trees and a MiL who uses firewood. I have a maul and two splitting wedges;
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00002N801
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00002N801

The Twister Wood Splitting Wedge is pretty good but I found it hard to get started unless there was a crack to put it in. The Wood Grenade is easier to get started (having a point) but is somewhat less effective.

Split the logs when they are still green

Oh yes!

If you've had trees cut down and have a pile of rings, you could look at hiring a large log splitter (or man with log splitter). The speed compared to axes/mauls/wedges is like comparing a garden spade against a mini digger

Sponsored Links
If you find a difficult log to split,I can recommend making a 2” cut in a log with a chainsaw to start a wedge but only if the log can be held safely to make the cut.

If it's really tricky (I've some old dry dense twisted eucalyptus that I'm too bloody-minded to just take to the tip), I use a combination of:

-splitting off the edges of the log, gradually making it smaller
-starting splits with slots made with a circular saw (I wouldn't recommend this for safety's sake, to be honest)
-getting two axe heads into a split, then driving another in between them
-leaving wedges in the wood for a week or two, then driving them further
-using the electric splitter on both ends of the log
-cursing the tree surgeon who told me to leave splitting the eucalyptus until it was dry

If it's really tricky (I've some old dry dense twisted eucalyptus that I'm too bloody-minded to just take to the tip), I use a combination of:

-cursing the tree surgeon who told me to leave splitting the eucalyptus until it was dry

Obviously a tree surgeon whos never split firewood then cos it has to be one of the worst woods?

Obviously a tree surgeon whos never split firewood then cos it has to be one of the worst woods?
It was very odd, I think some old tale he'd heard and never checked out for himself, even though he does split firewood for himself.
To be fair, he was more of a general landscaper and gardener, I probably should have asked the guy he bought in to do the main felling, who really did seem to know what he was doing.

BDEE07DE-260D-498A-BB49-A0F359AA7EB1.jpeg
It took a 10 ton hydraulic splitter to crack this Euc which was fresh felled , who knows what would have been required if it had dried out?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back