When do you walk off the job?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been offered a little work to complete, could lead to other work and this is the first time I have done work for this company (small family builders).
But you know when you get that gut feeling that something ain't right!
When would it be a good time to pack your tools away and depart?

Sponsored Links
Only ever walked away from two jobs when I was self employed. One where the house owner had accused me of breaking into his house and nicking an Apple Mac. First I knew of it was when I had the police turn up at my house asking if they could search it and cautioning me etc. (turned out, he'd had some window fitters in who'd done the deed) No amount of apologising from him would have made me go back.
Second time was when I was doing a room up with laminate flooring,wardrobes, painting etc and I'd put a mirror up on the wall. Checked it with the spirit level. The woman had a look and claimed it wasn't level. I showed her that it was. Her sister came in complaining that it was out, showed her. .. All day they kept complaining that it looked out of level. They measured from the floor at both sides, then measured form the ceiling. Turns out the ceiling was out of level and still, insisted the mirror wasn't level. I lost it and told them they could stuff the mirror where the sun don't shine. Packed my tools away and left.

Must admit I've been very close to walking on a few other jobs where "Extras" kept mounting up and site foremen have been a bit shirty. ;) ;)

My problem is I have been asked to finish an electrical install, so it can be handed over.
The builder who had contacted me, to complete the work, are forever letting me down, with incorrect materials, mostly old/used, even though I have given them a detailed list of what is needed.
I have offered to get the stuff myself, either on their account or using a kitty. Neither of these options have been taken up, they fail to contact me when promised and are never on site when arrange to meet.
It's not a particular big job, but the builder has promised me other work, as has the house owner who is a really nice fellow.
But simply can't work with people that fail to deliver and let you down. The final straw was yesterday afternoon, again arranged to be on site to meet them, they were bringing the materials I need to complete the job.
They were late again, had to ring them to get them there and the materials were either wrong or sub-standard. The house owner said they had promised to be there all day to finish his garden off, but had failed to arrive.
The builder was also off hand to the house owner, when this issue was addressed.
At that point, I thought are these the type of people, I want to work or be associated with?

Sponsored Links
In the words of Kenny Rogers IIRC - "you've go to know when to walk away, know when to run"

Builders strike again, don't you just love them :)

My problem is I have been asked to finish an electrical install, so it can be handed over.
alarm bell 1, also are you saying you are going to sign off another mans work??
The builder who had contacted me, to complete the work, are forever letting me down, with incorrect materials, mostly old/used, even though I have given them a detailed list of what is needed.
alarm bell 2
I have offered to get the stuff myself, either on their account or using a kitty. Neither of these options have been taken up, they fail to contact me when promised and are never on site when arrange to meet.
Lucky so far as you will loose even more money
It's not a particular big job, but the builder has promised me other work, as has the house owner who is a really nice fellow.
Talk to the home owner and try and deal with him direct perhaps
But simply can't work with people that fail to deliver and let you down.
Why do you think the original sparky wont finish the job.... he aint been paid and doesnt trust the builder
The final straw was yesterday afternoon, again arranged to be on site to meet them, they were bringing the materials I need to complete the job.
They were late again, had to ring them to get them there and the materials were either wrong or sub-standard. The house owner said they had promised to be there all day to finish his garden off, but had failed to arrive.
Alarm bell 3
The builder was also off hand to the house owner, when this issue was addressed.
At that point, I thought are these the type of people, I want to work or be associated with?
I think you have met the conclusion you were looking for

I dont ever work for builders directly any more, i always tell them that I want to deal with the home owner directly, most decent builders dont seem to mind this as it's less for them to get involved with. It sounds like you have wasted enough time already, stop now before things get out of hand.

Thanks 1john, just to clarify a few issues;
-The install was being overseen by building controls, so I could legally do, an inspection and test on a form 2, three signature EIC.
-By kitty, I meant one funded by the builder.
-The builder had actually installed most of the first fix. They had no electrician (I asked the house owner, he confirmed that to me), they may have had one on previous jobs and they had had simular experiences, but I don't know.
I did speak to the home owner and apologized about the situation and we both exchanged words of frustration and how best it could be resolved but he had a fixed price with the builder and did not wish to complicate things further, I left him my contact details with him.
I have lost a few hours pay but it could have been worse, at least I have other work I can be getting on with!

it would depend on what i had invested in the job and what it was going to take to get my money out of them.

i've only walked off one job, and it was a small one - a 3 dayer (or should have been) got back the second day and the customer had been pulling apart and adjusting what i had done the previous day. the customer had issues i think.

i didn't say a word, drank my tea, cleared my gear and went.

another where i very nearly walked off job, turned out fine - the customer had serious mental issues i suspect and once i'd bought into the idea of him not being out to stitch me up, the job turned out fine.

hmmm, third one i had quoted for one job and the customers son asked me to quote for fitting out a large garden building to make it suitable for an office. having already said 'i don't believe you' and turning his back on me after he challenged my price, and i justified it for the first job, i looked at the second job and decided that i was not that desperate for work.

Couldn't say what i wanted though as the people who recomended me to him give me a lot of work :)

Being a self employed tradesman gives you the sixth sense, you normally know within the first 90 seconds if the customer/job is suspect. This comes with experience when working for the general public.

You will always appreciate a good customer, when they accept the price, no hidden extras or surprizes and they pay on completion. :LOL:

Andy

I had a funny feeling about this one, right from the start.
Lost a few hours pay that I could have been earning on another job, but I think I have made the right discission to walk away.
Very frustrating experience!
But hey the house owners son has called me, offering me some more work.
I apologized about situation and he was very understanding.

You made the right choice although I think you knew that even before you started the thread.

You made the right choice although I think you knew that even before you started the thread.
maybe so, but not sure if I made a hasty discission and didn't like leaving the house owner without, through no fault of his own, other than employing idiot builders!

You can't always be a hero, if you try that you will find yourself being a loser more than a hero. You made the decision in time, you havent lost too much time and no materiels from the sounds of it, so thats a good result.

Sponsored Links
Back