When I install a circuit how far do I have to go?????

Y

yai46

I have got a few questions in regards to electrical work now that i'm part p person.

Now before I signed up I would....

Install a new circuit into a house and after i would test it and note any visual faults i.e. bonding size etc to the client...

But now i'm with a compertant person scheme do I.....

In regards to say adding a shower c/u with rcd protection do you have to check and upgrade the main bonding and supplementary bonding etc.

Also if you change a mains fuse box for a split-load type, do you just produce a certificate and note any defects to the client or do i visualy have to look before hand and give them a combined quote for the whole job including any visual upgrading....

Many Thanks

Rob

Sponsored Links
yai46 said:
In regards to say adding a shower c/u with rcd protection do you have to check and upgrade the main bonding and supplementary bonding etc.
You're now competent - your job is now to answer questions like that, not ask them.

Also if you change a mains fuse box for a split-load type, do you just produce a certificate and note any defects to the client or do i visualy have to look before hand and give them a combined quote for the whole job including any visual upgrading....
You're now competent - your job is now to answer questions like that, not ask them.

It is your responsibility to ensure the safety of the installation and that any work you carry out will not compromise the safety.
Therefore if the earthing/bonding is not up to scratch and the client is not willing to pay for the work, you either do the work for free or walk away.

The regs are very clear on this, perhaps you could spend more time reading them.

Regulation 130-07-01
‘No addition or alteration, temporary or permanent, shall be made to an existing installation, unless it has been ascertained that the rating and the condition of any existing equipment, including that of the distributor, which will have to carry any additional load is adequate for the altered circumstances and the earthing and bonding arrangements are also adequate’.

yai46 said:
I have got a few questions in regards to electrical work now that i'm part p person.
This is really scary - I'm not a registered competent person, but I'm thinking of becoming one; I have a copy of the IEE Regulations, and a guide to them, and the OSG, and other books.

Is this a wind-up or is it actually possible to register (as competent) and still not know the answer to these questions?

If so, what peace of mind is self-certification providing?

Sponsored Links
Is this a wind-up or is it actually possible to register (as competent) and still not know the answer to these questions?
Yes of course, anyone can become competant on paper and be useless in practice if they really put their minds to it ... Look at all the graduates in the world :LOL:

If so, what peace of mind is self-certification providing?
The same peace of mind you get from believing your 17 year old offspring is competant to drive your Porsche because they've passed their driving test ;)

yai46 said:

Now before I signed up I would....

Install a new circuit into a house and after i would test it and note any visual faults i.e. bonding size etc to the client...

But now i'm with a compertant person scheme do I.....

Many Thanks

Rob
all work done have to be tested and follow with a certificate, some with minor installation some with EIC which will include schedule of inspection, EIC and schedule of test results.

All notifyable work has to be reported to the councill by the body you are registered with or by yourself.

Not notifyable work still has to be certified.

A copy of your certificates has to be provided to your customer.

All work modifications done in a special location (i.e bathroom) have to be notified

All work without exception have to comply with BS7671.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back