1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

When is a deflection head required in a stud wall?

Discussion in 'Building' started by casademont, 14 Jan 2018.

1. casademont

casademont

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I am researching putting a non-load bearing partition stud wall in a loft space (pitched roof construction).

I have read that if I were to specify a gypframe studwall then a deflection head is required (http://www.british-gypsum.com/technical-advice/faqs/020-what-is-a-deflection-head).

However if I use a timber stud construction, is the deflection head still necessary? I've tried to search and there's not much info I can find. Certainly none of the standard "how to build a timber stud wall" guides mention a deflection head.

Thanks!

2. Sponsored Links
  3. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You might be reading to much. You would just fix the partition top plate to a rafter or noggins between rafters.

4. tony1851

tony1851

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The 'deflection head' is one of those things manufacturers dream up and then produce, in the hope that it will eventually become mandatory to fit them into new building work.
    If it's a loft conversion, just use conventional timber studwork with plasterboard and skim both sides. Any deflection of the roof under snow load will be very minimal and highly unlikely to cause any problem with the partition.

5. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Remember that deflection relates to finishes and is different to bending. It's difficult to relate deflection to a vertical stud wall.

6. Sponsored Links
  7. Notch7

Notch7

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Ive never heard of a deflection head!

• Like Like x 1
  8. tony1851

tony1851

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You have now!

9. freddiemercurystwin

freddiemercurystwin

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    They're relevant to commercial buildings eg long span offices, not domestic. They allow the floor above to bow or 'deflect' and for the finishes to remain unaffected.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. John D v2.0

John D v2.0

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Before people get too excited, according to the link above even the manufacturer doesn't say they are needed except "when needing to allow for movement"

11. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links