When is a new circuit not a new circuit?

Not that you can trust a single word they tell you since they have a vested interest, but have any local authorities yet expressed any specific opinion as to what they consider a "new circuit" to be? (Or a "consumer unit" for that matter.)
I very much doubt it. As far as I can make out, most LABCs know little, if anything, about matters electrical, and hence have to contract out any required I&T. I therefore doubt they understand enough to have anything approaching an 'expert opinion' as to what constitutes a 'new circuit'.

As for 'consumer unit', I think that, except when we're trying to be awkward or 'clever', we all know essentially what is intended there!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I therefore doubt they understand enough to have anything approaching an 'expert opinion' as to what constitutes a 'new circuit'.
I certainly wouldn't expect anything approaching or even remotely resembling an expert opinion from them, but did wonder if, after a couple of years of this new set of notification rules being in place, any of them might have expressed any sort of opinion.

I certainly wouldn't expect anything approaching or even remotely resembling an expert opinion from them, but did wonder if, after a couple of years of this new set of notification rules being in place, any of them might have expressed any sort of opinion.
Given considerations of 'CYA' etc., I don't think it's hard to guess in which direction they would tend to 'err' if asked "is this notifiable?" - which probably means that many of those who think they may be talking about a 'grey area' might well be reticent to ask the question!

Kind Regards, John

I suspect the main consideration they would give to the question is the £100, £200, or more they'd think they might get by "erring" toward an interpretation which requires notification.

Sponsored Links
I suspect the main consideration they would give to the question is the £100, £200, or more they'd think they might get by "erring" toward an interpretation which requires notification.
I'm not so sure about that. I don't think that most LABCs see notification of electrical work as a 'money spinner' and that, on the contrary, they'd be happiest if all notifiable electrical work were self-certified. Don't forget that the appearance of Part P put demands on them which theoretically required expertise way beyond what that required for their traditional roles.

Kind Regards, John

Certainly Part P stretched their technical abilities, and I remember in the first couple of years after it was introduced there were even some reports of building inspectors candidly admitting to people that they'd been sent out to look at new wiring but really had little idea what they were looking at. No doubt the recognition that in most cases they had nobody qualified to be inspecting led them to their unlawful demands for people to get an electrician in at extra expense to inspect and just send in a certificate.

But since the rules changed to permit them to do just that, I'm not so sure. A couple of hundred pounds just to accept a piece of paper from somebody else and file it away? Sounds as though that could be quite a money-spinner for them.

Don't underestimate the ability of local government to absorb money. It might add to the turnover, but won't be a money-spinner.

But since the rules changed to permit them to do just that, I'm not so sure. A couple of hundred pounds just to accept a piece of paper from somebody else and file it away? Sounds as though that could be quite a money-spinner for them.
I doubt that BCOs usually have any particular interest in the income of the LA. FWIW, the few I have spoken to in recent years have all essentially said that "Part P is a pain" and that, as I previously suggested, they would be delighted if all notifiable electrical work was self-certified. Also, bear in mind that government (both central and local) is generally so inefficient that merely 'processing the paperwork' probably costs out at a quite appreciable sum!

Kind Regards, John

the few I have spoken to in recent years have all essentially said that "Part P is a pain" and that, as I previously suggested, they would be delighted if all notifiable electrical work was self-certified
Who did they have in mind - Anybody, or only somebody holding a recognized qualification?

the few I have spoken to in recent years have all essentially said that "Part P is a pain" and that, as I previously suggested, they would be delighted if all notifiable electrical work was self-certified
Who did they have in mind - Anybody, or only somebody holding a recognized qualification?
I suspect that the individuals concerned may well not really care (they just want to be rid of electrical work!), but they were actually talking about members of self-certification schemes :)

Kind Regards, John

Lordy, that's got a bit busy. Re the Part P/Building Control sketch, I had a chat to the BCO who was looking after the building side of my little project and mentioned that I was looking at going the BCO inspection route for wiring rather than employing a Part P electrician. His response- 'we don't want the hassle and we don't know what we're looking at anyway so have to get the council electricians to do the inspections, they've got better things to be doing which is why we put a stupid price on the job (to discourage people from that route)'.

However, changes since 2013 are working for me so I'm lying low and saying nowt (clue- get Part P electrician to test and certify a few existing ring finals with 3 or 4 sockets on them- I've done insulation resistance tests but my wind-up Megger doesn't read low enough for R1+R2 or the loop numbers. Not particularly time consuming for him, gets me the certificate I need. And then I can put the rest of the sockets that I want on provided I do them properly- which I will, advantage is I can do them in my sequence rather than having to get electrician for a day every week to look at cables going in behind stud walls). Big exception- shower circuit, new circuit in zone 1 so I'll pay the money to make sure that one is bob on thank you very much.

A philosophical note- LA/BC are on a hiding to nothing trying to determine what is a new circuit and what isn't when the housing stock is mostly well over 100 years old. To me, if a circuit is wired on old colours (red/black or red/yellow/blue) then it would be very hard to prove that it was installed or modified post Part P. If it is in new colours then there'll be a suspicion that someone has been At It. I'm sure in the future there'll be swathes of conveyancers requiring indemnity policies because the householder can't prove that the wiring hasn't been tampered with in an unauthorised fashion, especially since the notification requirements have been relaxed so much.

His response- 'we don't want the hassle and we don't know what we're looking at anyway so have to get the council electricians to do the inspections, they've got better things to be doing which is why we put a stupid price on the job (to discourage people from that route)'.
Which, to me, rather casts doubts on the council's integrity. Is it right that they decide to put an extortionate price on something which is a legal requirement because they couldn't get things organized properly? They knew Part P was coming and had time to prepare for it, so why should anyone wanting to do a simple electrical job in his own house suffer because of their ineptitude?

I remember that even a few years ago there was one council (west country somewhere if I recall correctly, maybe Somerset area?) which set the fee for even the smallest notifiable electrical job at somewhere around £400. Maybe they were just trying to make absolutely sure that nobody with any sense would bother them, but I wonder whether they set the fee so ludicrously high that somebody there felt it would just be so absurd to the average person that he'd realize they really didn't care if people just carried on and ignored the notification requirement.

I've done insulation resistance tests but my wind-up Megger doesn't read low enough for R1+R2 or the loop numbers.
On a side note, I have several of the old "wind up" Meggers, including one which has the low resistance range, but I also have a couple of the very low-ohms battery-operated Meggers, 1950's era in the brown and green bakelite cases. Nice instruments they were too - I wonder if Evershed & Vignoles ever dreamed that some of these pieces of equipment would still be going strong over half a century later?

A philosophical note- LA/BC are on a hiding to nothing trying to determine what is a new circuit and what isn't when the housing stock is mostly well over 100 years old. To me, if a circuit is wired on old colours (red/black or red/yellow/blue) then it would be very hard to prove that it was installed or modified post Part P. If it is in new colours then there'll be a suspicion that someone has been At It.
Even then, since the new colors were available before 2005 that by itself wouldn'y prove anything. Even with date-coded materials dated 2005 or later, there was enough scope that in many cases they couldn't prove anything anyway (replacement of damaged cable, etc.). Now that the notification rules have been relaxed even further, there are some things which while done post-2004 might have been identifiable as notifiable at the time could now no longer be proved, since post-2013 they're no longer so.

Not, as has been said already, many people really seem to care, so it's pretty academic.

I'm sure in the future there'll be swathes of conveyancers requiring indemnity policies because the householder can't prove that the wiring hasn't been tampered with in an unauthorised fashion, especially since the notification requirements have been relaxed so much.
Despite the fuss sometimes made about not having pieces of paper for work done causing a problem when selling, I can't help but feel that it's overstated. Either buyers will bargain a little, get their own surveys done (which they would have to do to be sure of everything being safe anyway, given all the non-notifiable work which could be done), or just accept a property "as is."

If not indemnity insurance, perhaps you'll see more in the way of disclosures in Britain about what might have been done to the property, or what it might contain etc. There are reams of such disclosure paperwork when buying here in California: Disclosures about the possibility of lead paint for home built prior to 1980 or so, disclosures if in a flood or high-risk fire area, disclosures if within so many miles of an airport, etc.

Prompted by:

//www.diynot.com/diy/threads/repurpose-storage-heater-circuit.448414/

So say somebody takes existing, now unused cabling from a storage-heater installation, puts sockets on the ends in place of the former switches to the heaters, disconnects the cables from the old heating board and hooks them up into existing fuseways on the main board (extension of an existing 20A radial, or as a spur direct from the board on a 30A ring). New circuits or not?

Or he leaves the cables exactly where they were on the existing fuses in the old heating board, and fits new tails to that board into Henley blocks on the feed. New circuits?

So say somebody takes existing, now unused cabling from a storage-heater installation, puts sockets on the ends in place of the former switches to the heaters, disconnects the cables from the old heating board and hooks them up into existing fuseways on the main board (extension of an existing 20A radial, or as a spur direct from the board on a 30A ring). New circuits or not?
As I said, I think 're-purposing' an existing circuit can be a particularly grey area, where some people would say that it was a 'new circuit'. However, I don't think that the examples you give really come into that category - if one installs socket(s) on a new branch of an existing radial circuit, or installs one socket on an unfused spur (or multiple sockets on a fused spur) from an existing ring final, then I don't think anyone would call that a 'new circuit', and the fact that one had used 'existing cable' for that new branch/spur does not alter that.
Or he leaves the cables exactly where they were on the existing fuses in the old heating board, and fits new tails to that board into Henley blocks on the feed. New circuits?
That's an example of the 'grey area', where some people would say that it's a 'new circuit', particularly if the 'old heating board' had been disconnected. Otherwise one could utilise, for any new purpose, some existing wiring that had been disconnected for years and claim that it was not a 'new circuit'.

Kind Regards, John

As I said, I think 're-purposing' an existing circuit can be a particularly grey area, where some people would say that it was a 'new circuit'. However, I don't think that the examples you give really come into that category - if one installs socket(s) on a new branch of an existing radial circuit, or installs one socket on an unfused spur (or multiple sockets on a fused spur) from an existing ring final, then I don't think anyone would call that a 'new circuit', and the fact that one had used 'existing cable' for that new branch/spur does not alter that.
Agreed - If one can run completely new cable from an existing fuseway to new sockets and that isn't considered a new circuit, one can certainly do the same with cable which happens to be there already. I doubt that anyone here would find that contentious.

However, what if we now change that to reusing the old storage-heater cables but connecting them to a fuseway in the board which was previously spare? Is it now a new circuit, even though all the cabling was already there and it's just being reused for another purpose?

Which brings us to.....

Otherwise one could utilise, for any new purpose, some existing wiring that had been disconnected for years and claim that it was not a 'new circuit'.

So another scenario. In doing some other work (adding a spur from an existing fuseway, for example), you decide to rearrange the fuses (say for consistency in grouping them together). So you disconnect a circuit from one fuseway and reconnect it to another which was previously spare, transferring the fuse or MCB into that new position. Have you created a new circuit? I think it would be stretching it to claim that you have, when nothing has changed except the position of the fuse/MCB in the board.

What if you disconnect that circuit but don't have any need of it immediately, so leave it disconnected and then come along some time later and reconnect it to a different position in the board, either moving the original fuse or providing a new one - Is that now a new circuit, or have you just reconnected an old one?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back