Where best to site boiler & flue - help appreciated

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have an old combi boiler in an outhouse off my kitchen - originally the outside loo I think. I want to replace this because its inefficient and keeps breaking down (20+ years old I'm told).

If I keep it where it is, I need to install lots of frost protection for the condensate etc. Also, longer term we plan to add a conservatory which would replace the small outhouse and I'm not clear where the flue could then go - wouldn't look great poking through the conservatory ceiling.

So I wondered about putting it in a cupboard under the stairs and running the flue through the false ceiling of the downstairs bedroom. The total distance would be 4m and I think the false ceiling is about 300mm. We had an engineer round and he said I'd need at least 1 1/2 feet to run it through, but when I do my sums 3 degrees incline is about 210mm plus 100mm for the flue - so it feels like that might work.

Any thoughts? And can you get boilers that require a more gentle inclined flue. I appreciate its difficult explaining.

Thanks
Andy

Sponsored Links
not great to run it thru a ceiling above a bedroom - there are new regulations for flues-in-voids that you would need to think about. Inspection hatches would be required so the flue could be checked, Why not fit the new one in the kitchen

We've thought about putting it in the kitchen/dining room but its effectively at the dining end of it and would spoil the aesthetics (even if boxed in).

Other option is to put it in the bedroom directly but I understand even modern boilers are a bit noisy and so would wake someone up

Hence the idea about putting it in the cupboard under the stairs and routing the flue out through ceiling void - mostly aesthetically pleasing route even if it requires the odd inspection hatch etc.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back