Where can I buy thin wood?

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need thin wood, similar to what you get with bolt metal shelving.

I looked in b&q
Can't find anything suitable.

The closest is arrive flooring.
It's too heavy and too thick.
+ expensive.
I need to cover a space of 230cm x 180cm.

Any ideas?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
a bit vague really thin wood as in veneer /floor covering /structural ?? to me thin wood is perhaps an eighth off an inch [3.2mm ]wood
i supect you may mean perhaps 6-12mm ply or mdf ??

My message somehow got the wrong words (mobile auto correct!).
Need wood for shelving I've made.
If I could get the same as you get on metal bolt shelves that would be great.
The closet I found is attic flooring. Too thick and too heavy.
I'm guessing mdf would be what I am looking for?

I'm guessing mdf would be what I am looking for?

Or plywood as suggested.

Message edited: try builders merchants or other sheds if b&q no good. Wickes, Travis Perkins, Selco, Local merchants.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
that size you are looking at almost a full sheet of plywood. will the wood be supported or is the size you have quoted the total area?

Simplest for you is probably B&Q (or a similar), take a list of the actual sizes you require, select a sheet and take it to their sheet cutting point and get them to cut to your sizes. B&Q will do up to 15 cuts for free included in your purchase.

The bigger the unsupported area you have the thicker the sheet needs to be.

Agreed. 18mm plywood would be a far better choice for carrying any sort of load than MDF. Both 18mm MDF and 18mm plywood should be available from the DIY sheds or any half decent timber yard (where it will be cheaper). Incidentally, if you are covering an area of 2300 x 1800mm (230 x 180cm) you will need two sheets (standard sheet size is 2440 x 1220mm) and that sort of size will need some sort of supporting structure beneath it, such as joists at 400 or 600mm (approx.) centres. Are you sure to don't mean 230 x 180mm?

Last edited by a moderator:
Osb would be a cheap solution, you will need 18mm for shelving if it’s to hold without warping ( thick wood as you describe it).

Thanks for the replies guys.
This is what I have:
b1yAR7.jpg

I need to put boarding on top so I can store things above.

WARPING: I hadn't thought of that.
MDF vs Plywood vs OSB
What should I go for?

Thanks.

Plywood. Stronger and stiffer than the rest
Also better where used in unheated rooms as it is less affected by moisture/damp (MDF can be like blotting paper), however comes at a cost premium. Depending on the weight you intend to store on it you could use 6, 9.5 or 12mm (hardwood) plywood.

Last edited by a moderator:
Plywood would be best, OSB second best. I would not use MDF for what you want unless you put significant support underneath it.

general comments

whats it for ??
what ever is at the back will be inaccessible
normal storage areas tend to be arms length and for a good reason
not a criticism you understand just trying build in the practicalities
also expect the floor may be around 11mm so may struggle with a heavy load at any one point although your floor plates will help spread the load but less so between the uprights

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys.
Plywood would have been my last choice to be honest. It costs a lot more - I guess for a good reason?

I contacted a very big shelf seller. If you do a search they normally appear on the first page. I asked them what wood they use on their shelves.
They told me 6mm mdf. I've had many shelves in my time. They've all had the same wood.

At the moment, I have widths of 60cm.
This would be reduced to 40cm by adding more beams. Then I would be OK to use thinner wood?

@big-all yes... Good point. The back is inaccessible
I designed on purpose like this.
The plan is to store everything in plastic boxes + make notes of what is being stored and where.
If something is at the back, then you simply move 4 or 5 or 6 boxes and get to the box at the back.
Organise well and label everything is a very important thing of course.

The big manufacturers do indeed use 6mm MDF for their cheap shelving unit, however they have a much smaller unsupported span of around 600x280mm.

Your unsupported span looms much bigger at around 600x1800mm so you will need thicker material. 12mm ply at a minimum.

What load will be on the shelves?

Just do it properly with 12-18mm ply and then you won’t have to add extra supports or worry about mdf sagging when it gets damp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back