Where can I buy thin wood?

The load on the shelves... I haven't given thought to be honest.
Maybe 150 - 200KG in total. Just guessing.

I think I'll bit the bullet and get 12mm ply after what you guys have said.

Sponsored Links
i am assuming bicycle storage underneath as it otherwise a very awkward height ??
if so your back is likely to suffer :confused:

I got 18mm chipboard from b&q
All other options are expensive, meant spending £50+
Still heavier than I would have liked.
I think will be OK

@big-all I won't be getting a back ache - I'll send the wife to get the bikes.

bikes are a nightmare to store in any number above 2 together and a large wide area will only be about half usable as you need loads off space sideways to disentangle them

Sponsored Links
Tell me about it.
I have learned to store in opposite directions.
One forwards, then the next backwards.
You can fit double that way.
If you put handle bars vertical... that helps more.
But then you have to go to the pain of refitting.
If a non expensive bike this is more of a hassle.
What I have right now works perfect.

No frame required just wastes space, simple timber along each side of the shed and a two or three across would take an upper shelf leaving below completely free of obstruction.

No frame required as foxhole states.
I would batten the sides and rest the shelf cross members on top.
And leave a 1m space up the middle, so access to the shelf is from the middle using steps.
And support the shelf at the gables.
And a hanger from the roof might be possible.

if i was doing your shed i would aim for a "U" shape storage including shelves
starting at the back corner away from the window and do about 25-35 off the shed area across the end and the side wall assuming you have say 4 bikes plan two smallest underneath the shelving on the left hand back wall and the other2 in the walkway
i would choose my prefered boxes and that would dictate the shelve lengths and depths and spacings
once you load up that section i would look at the section on the lhs up to the door and decide the shelve and open combination that use up and store you stuff the most efficient way
the last area you should fill is on the window side incase you want the option off a work area with natural light

aaaaannnnnddd the first version is never the best so doing it in say three or four areas allows you to change small areas for changing circumstances or for better use

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back