Where do I stand Legally (Pay a Cowboy??)

Agile said:
Softus said:
No, unless he didn't finish the job in a reasonable time
When was time considered to be of the essence?
You're very mixed up about the legislation, and your lack of knowledge has tempted you to twist my words.

Firstly, time was not made "of the essence". If it had then a failure to complete by the agreed date/time would have automatically led to compensation. Secondly, you might wish to have a read of the Act of Parliament that covers the work that you do. A commonly stated précis follows...

Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 (amended by Supply of Goods and Services Act 1994)

This states that work covered by the contract - which exists as soon as you ask someone to carry out some work for you, such as plumbing, dry cleaning, or building, must be carried out with reasonable skill and care, within a reasonable time, and for a reasonable price (if that's not stated) - but what is reasonable is not defined by law. If something goes wrong as a result of the work done - ask the contractor to put the work right, and if s/he won't, you are legally entitled to employ another contractor to rectify the problem and claim the costs from the original contractor.

Sponsored Links
I voiced my concerns to her regarding positioning of the pipe work i.e not plumb or level, 90° returns (push fit) not being true 90°.

Sounds as though you could be a bit fussy there. Did you go round every pipe with a spirit level or are they really like a plate of spaghetti?

If you could post some pics it would be easier for us to gain a balanced opinion on the work.

All of us have experienced a faulty fitting here and there and if anyone says that every joint they ever made hasn't leaked they would be liars or just people that have never. or at best rarely joined 2 pipes together.

Sponsored Links
Slugbabydotcom said:
I voiced my concerns to her regarding positioning of the pipe work i.e not plumb or level, 90° returns (push fit) not being true 90°.

Sounds as though you could be a bit fussy there. Did you go round every pipe with a spirit level or are they really like a plate of spaghetti?

If you could post some pics it would be easier for us to gain a balanced opinion on the work

no i do not go round checking the pipes. I do not think it is to much to expect that pipes which are on view should be true and plumb. A spirit level is a standard piece of eqipment. I can relate to any plumber or job sometimes going wrong but when it IS DUE to shoddy workmanship there should be some form of redress.

Daddy is concerned seeing how daughter house has been left, as would any father be seeing the damaged caused.

I do not see this as a way of COMPO COMPO COMPO.

To those with helpfull remarks thanks

As an engineering point, it would be better to have a fall on all pipes rather than being horizontal, then getting air out would be much less of a problem.

Yes we can't start casting aspersions towards you without seeing the job. Like I said if you don't pay he will make a claim, if you think you have a case you make a counterclaim and the court decides at which point and in which direction the money flows. It's really not up for speculation.

Bear in mind that if all is now put right, you will have to pay plus pay his costs.

If it is not right and you are still not happy with his work, you can get your own expert to put it right and use his bill in the counterclaim. However check with a solicitor first, I am no lawyer.

Just like to post an answer to my critics.

Not a plumber so I could not fit a condenser boiler, that is why we pay experts to have the job done.

Condenser pipe from the boiler about 50mm out of plumb, like wise with the copper pipe from the pressure release valve ( conected with push fit fittings)

Crux of the matter was that the leak was caused by a plastic pipe being connected to a gate valve in the loft, which was the supply feed to the original tank. I presumed, perhaps incorrectly that there should be no neccassity to have any water pipes in the loft. The new Condenser boiler is located on the ground floor.

After the leak the pipes leading to the loft where disconnected and some floor boards was taken up to enable the pipework to be re routed. Again I presumed that this should have been done in the first instance. Why was it not done that way :?: .

Still waiting for the plumber to alter some pipework and sign the job off. We have not had any arguments with him and do treat the leak it as a very unfortunate incident.

There would have been no problems with paying him for a job well done and I take exception to those on the forum who think compensasion is the overiding factor.

Our insurance company is trying to get payment from his insurers at the moment.

Thanks for advice given. will end my reply's to the forum with this post.

Toolkit said:
Condenser pipe from the boiler about 50mm out of plumb, like wise with the copper pipe from the pressure release valve ( conected with push fit fittings)

50mm over what disrance? 50mm over 100metre is hardly noticeable... and by out of plumb do you mean is vertical or horizontal? is vertical, should really be straight, if horizontal, its got to have a fall. otherwise the condense in pipe will go nowhere.

and blowoff is connected with push fittings is bit of a waste of time, if there was a problem with push fittings then they wouldnt be available

He's gone simon_d. If you follow the trail of toys you'll problem see his pram in the distance...

as has been said he has gone

did not get the answer he wanted so took his ball home

personally I tip my hat to the plumber, what a guy to put up with a interfering, no nothing "daddy"

as harry enfield once said

"onnnnnnnnnnnnllllllllllly meeeeeeeeeeeee"

"you don wanna do it like that you wanna do it like this" etc etc

But to be Devil's advocate,

you don't know in what way condense was 50mm out if it is sloaping upwards it's a problem.

It isn't exactly good practice to cap the cold supply in the loft. Not necessary to cap it under the floor, but close to the floor in the old airing cupboard is a minimum standard.

Non of it would win a court case for a counter claim, as long as it is rectified which it seems to be, so the plumber will get his money. The poster has already said that.

I may have been harsh .......but I`d been watching re runs of summer whine and Corrie on my Betamax video so I had Compo and Les Battersby- the compo king- on my mind :oops: perhaps I should get a job again :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back