Where do I stand???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning,

Bought a dewalt 2kg 3 mode sds drill from screwfix under a year ago and whilst the drill still works the chuck is so worn the bits fall out and wobble.

Can I take it back with receipt or is it a painful process?

Sponsored Links
Morning,

Bought a dewalt 2kg 3 mode sds drill from screwfix under a year ago and whilst the drill still works the chuck is so worn the bits fall out and wobble.

Can I take it back with receipt or is it a painful process?

If it is under 12months old take it back with the receipt... you have a warranty so they will replace it like for like

Are you sure it's not just gunked up and you are not inserting the bit fully?

I was hoping the 12month rule would apply but hopefully I will get a direct replacement as I need it for work.

No definitely prematurely worn, I always grease the chisel bits and make sure it's clean etc.

Will have to dig the receipt out and go to screwfix later

Sponsored Links
Just rang screwfix as couldn't find my receipt but managed to get invoice number and I bought it on 27th October 13. She said I would have to have it sent to dewalt for 5 days. Do I have any rights regarding the exchange there and then?

If you use it every day and have worn it out I doubt they even have to repair it. Buy another one if you use it that much.

[Its not fit for purpose then.
Depends what its 'purpose' was intended to be.
- If you bought a BnQ own brand for £20, and expected to put 5 hours on it 6 days a week....

Certainly if it was me, I would be angling for a new one, but I would be happy with them taking it for five days to repair, and as such might also as a separate transaction buy a second one.

Daniel

Screwfix offer a 30 day money back guarantee. If goods fail after that time they will offer a repair service or replacement if a repair is not possible. This is pretty standard with most electrical items from any supplier, so I think you will just have to wait and see.

You could enquire as to whether, if the drill does turn out to be faulty, they would cover the cost of you hiring one while it is out for repair. I think that would be pushing your luck a little but they may think twice and offer a replacement if they think you might have a case! ;)

http://www.screwfix.com/jsp/help/returns.jsp

[Its not fit for purpose then.
Depends what its 'purpose' was intended to be.
- If you bought a BnQ own brand for £20, and expected to put 5 hours on it 6 days a week....

Daniel

I agree but there is never a caveat to say "do not use this everyday".
If a drill is bought and used as such why should there be no reason to expect it to last for its guaranteed length at least.

If you've had that much use out of it, then you've had yer moneys worth and the drill has paid for itself. There will surely be some 'fair use' wording in the small print, somewhere.

A drill is classed as a tool for drilling holes. It doesn't state you can only drill 427 holes of 1/4" diameter 1" deep before it will fail.

If it fails after 5 months, regardless of how many holes you have drilled, then it is not fit for purpose. I would ask for a replacement stating that you use this drill on a regular basis and need it for your job. Unless there is something in the paperwork stating it is for 'occassional use around the home' then it can be assumed it is for every day use in your normal job. The only exception to this may be that you were using drill bits not suitable for that sized chuck. e.g. 3/4" with a turned down shank in a 1/2" chuck but I don't think thats possible with an SDS drill.

In that case no drill would be fit for purpose. You can't hammer the mechanism several million times and expect it never to wear out.

It's cost him less than £2 per week and he's complaining? FFS. :rolleyes:

I returned a failed drill type appliance to B&Q, I followed the old guy's recommendation at purchase - " If it goes wrong, clean it up and return it, generally we replace without quibble' - He was correct.
-0-

Had you used it all day every day? Didn't think so.

Sponsored Links
Back