Where do you buy your timber?

Sponsored Links
where from mate?

From a local place called R&M Supplies. Howarth Timber were only £5 extra (1%) on the stuff I bought but couldn't deliver as fast as R&M.

IMG_2368.JPG

I have a cash account at Howarth Timber that lets me see the online prices as dpsservices mentions.

Our local place just quoted me 15.70 including vat for 4.8m c24 2x8. Grbs weymouth.

Cambabest in Bordesley Green, Birmingham are always open to offers. Always.

Selco? You'll need a trade account.

Phone EHSmith at their head office and talk to someone in sales, they will give you an discount off the trade price.

I don't know about Darlaston BM for timber. Their other stuff is normally cheap. They don't tend to discount much though.

I would also review your section sizes, and whether c24 is actually necessary.

Sponsored Links
I would also review your section sizes, and whether c24 is actually necessary.
The 8x2's have a span of 4.8m for the flat roof. The building control guy looked at his span tables and said C24 was required. C24 is harder to get hold of and more expensive than good old C16. Not sure if increasing height to 9" timbers and going C16 route will offer savings.

My local wood yard (Acton Timber, Long Eaton) is great. My dad used to go there years ago when the current owner's dad ran it. He once took me down there when I needed some timber for my first project - he introduced me to a few of them and I met the owners. After a while I'd go down on my own and because they recognised me, they'd be a bit more forgiving on prices and give me discount when 'totting up' at the end.

Point is, once you become 'pally' and they know you'll be there for future needs, they tend to try and keep you there.

Just looked at span tables. Seems to me at a max span of 4.7m I can get away with C16 with my 8x2s. (Taking into account my wall bearer plate and RSJ)

Attachments

• IMG_5933.PNG
    IMG_5933.PNG
    172.2 KB · Views: 59
Gonna review my order tonight as I may get away with C16 and the span tables show I can go with 600mm centres for pitched roof rafters so need less of them. Will try the other options and go into Cambabest in person.

Just for info, 2 have got back to me with initial order..... £936 from wood yard 40 miles away and £1136 from my local !!

What about 3x2 for the walls? £124/100mtrs at Howarth Timber.

Last batch of timber I bought was:

£13.20+vat per 4.8M length of 47x175mm C24
£2.91+vat per 2.4M 50mm x 100mm CLS studwork timber

Free delivery. The total order value was £900.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back