Where to buy timber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I’ve been hunting about online as I’m looking to replace some old timber fascias on my outbuilding (single skin brick with hip roof) while I’m replacing the old cast iron guttering which has corroded away to nothing and sections completely missing. The exact size is 7x3/4”. Trying to find anything near that size is proving to be a bit problematic. I’ve been in touch with the local sawmills and timber merchants but they can’t help as I’m only needing 20m.

just to add, I’m in south aberdeenshire

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Wherever you get it just made sure you select it yourself - I normally do but had some delivered by Selco yesterday - I had to check the invoice in case I'd ordered bananas instead of 4x2's by mistake! Timber comes in nominal sizes and actual sizes (after it's been planed) - have a drive round with your tape measure.

Wherever you get it just made sure you select it yourself - I normally do but had some delivered by Selco yesterday - I had to check the invoice in case I'd ordered bananas instead of 4x2's by mistake! Timber comes in nominal sizes and actual sizes (after it's been planed) - have a drive round with your tape measure.

Yep, the best way of doing that is to hold it out in front of you and look down it

Sponsored Links
You need to buy the nearest metric equivalent and then realign things to suit the new size. This may mean a packing timber if the eaves tiles are to rest on the fascia. Or buy rough sawn and sand two faces.

Don't forget to renew the eaves felt or fit plastic eaves tray.

Try a small local sawmill. The place I get most of my timber from would cut you whatever you want.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back