Where should I run the cable for a new spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to put a socket under a wide window. The nearest socket on the ring main is on an adjacent wall about half way up the wall and is fed by wires dropped vertically from the void in the ceiling above. Just to make it complicated the area marked with the red crosses has a load of pipes which don't really want to go near. Also the floor is concrete and has just been levelled. It is a real pain to lift the boards above so I would like to spur from the existing socket. Any ideas? Will I need to protect with steel or is there away of doing this in plastic?

kitchen_sckt2.JPG

Sponsored Links
Would you be willing to place the new socket beside the window, at the same level as the existing one?

No, unfortunately there is a unit going in that corner and the existing socket is above the height of the top (which is good) but the wall alongside the window will be obscured. For reference were you going to suggest running the cable horizontally around the corner? If so would this have been OK in plastic?

I was. Running it horizontally means it is a bit less likely people will hammer nails through it accidentally. Otherwise for the positions you show, the cable route will be unpredictable, so likely to be damaged, and needs earthed steel conduit so that when it is, there is likely to be a fault to earth to blow the fuse.

However, if you are willing to run the cable in mini-trunking on the surface of the wall, it will be obvious where the cable is, so very unlikely to be drilled by kitchen fitters and others.

Sponsored Links
Due to the fact that the new socket is not in line with the original socket, horizontally, You must protect the cable run with metal capping. This capping should be earthed for safety reasons, ensuring that anything puncturing the cable will pass through earthed metal first.

Make sure you poprivet a Earth wire to the capping and connect to the earth terminal of the circuit. The earthed capping must be a continuous circuit.

Thanks both. Looks like metal earthed capping it is then. The mini trunking is a great idea but unfortunately my wife doesn't think so!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back