Where to install GSM Alarm Dialler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at getting a Menvier SD3 GSM Dialler along with a Texecom Premier 48. The Menvier SD3 GSM Dialler has a built in microphone and speaker so you can listen in to first 30secs of alram activation or speak through speaker from another location.

So question is where is best place to install the GSM dialler. My initial throughts were to install it where it cant be easily found by a burglar so they just rip it off the wall and destroy it and also install it higher in the house like the loft so there is a better GSM signal. However this would mean the built in microphone and speaker would be useless up in the loft.

So just wanted to know where the experts install these diallers. Hidden away or in full view?

cheers

Sponsored Links
Hi Harvey,

Where do experts install diallers ? Well, I've got a video of a well known national company installing the dialler at about eye level in the lounge. It says something about the experts but is of no immediate help to you.

Let's spend a minute on the 'burglars ripping it off the wall bit'. And in just a few words it may be worth pointing out that the system is not that brilliant if they have time to 'rip it off the wall' with the alarm sounding, if it's sounding. And how did they manage to find the dialler, recognise it as a dialler and decide to rip it off the wall before waltzing off with the plasma television ? If the dialler is doing it's job as well as the detectors, a signal has already been sent, well before they try to rip it off the wall.

So, positioning. Obviously it would be ideally placed adjacent to the control panel, but you have one heck of a valid point as regards the attic, good on you. By all means, attempt to keep it out of sight, but your detectors should be able to pick up intruders and activate the gsm long before they get to it. If the attic is chosen, consider a screened cable run from the control panel, not essential but something I tend to do.

I often install panels that dial out upstairs with the alarm operated by a remote keypad.
If you also delay or mute the internal sounder then this makes its discovery even less likely.
However consider the two ideals.

if you are at home ie the alarm is set while you sleep don't delay or mute the internal sounder in the control panel as you need this to wake you up if intruders appear. However when on holiday or leaving the home empty then fine mute the internal sounder.

There is an argument here for running a switch from the internal sounder feed to the front of the panel. not a difficult job but one which makes it easy to select between sounder on or off rather than programming the system through the menu system every time.

Sponsored Links
If the attic is chosen, consider a screened cable run from the control panel, not essential but something I tend to do.
It would have been a good idea to explain to Harvey why you sometimes use screened cable when the majority don't.

and also install it higher in the house like the loft so there is a better GSM signal.
Without a good signal the dialler is not going to be any use.

So when chosing its location signal quality should take precedence over ease of access.

It only needs enough time to send the alarm message before being destroyed.

The use of a dummy dialer that can be found and the real one out of sight will make the system more resilient. Might be essential in areas where the network is often busy and restricted service means alarm calls cannot be made immediately

I would not like to trust to a GSM dialler. Only if a landline was not avaiable.
I agree with that. A land line is always the best option provided the cable is protected from being cut outside the protected area/building.

GSM as a back up to a land line is worth having where the land line cannot be protected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back