Where to run the wiring for a room thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it ok to run the wiring for a room thermostat behind the freestanding cooker (hob and oven) in my kitchen?

I'm thinking of running the wiring behind my worktop / cabinets before I fill in the small gap by the worktop with tiles. Is the cooker likely to cause a problem?

Thanks for your advice

Sponsored Links
Is it ok to run the wiring for a room thermostat behind the freestanding cooker (hob and oven) in my kitchen?
There is no reason why it should cause a problem but it would be sensible to run the cable through some trunking.

Presumably the boiler is in the kitchen. Where is the programmer? Or are you talking about a programmable thermostat?

Have you thought about a wireless programmable stat? This would remove the need for running wires behind the cooker/under the work top.

Thanks -

The boiler and programmer are in the kitchen and I want to put a thermostat in the room next door, so I don't think I need a programmable thermostat (but I'm not sure exactly what one is).

I have heard of wireless stats but thought they were much more expensive.

It depends on the boiler you have.

A Programmable stat has times as well as temps. If you have a combi, that's the only timer you need because there's no timer for the hot water.

You can put a thermostat wire anywhere you could put a mains cable.
SOme boiler stat wiring is low voltage which is less fussy.

Wreless thermostats can be just a stat, or a prog one. You can put the sensing part where you find it best, or even, if you like, carry it around with you

Sponsored Links
Interesting demonstration!

It's an oldish non-combi boiler. I reckon I'll prob go for wireless stat - make life easier- as long as they're not too expensive

Thanks for your help

Cheap half decent wireless stat is the siemens rdh10rf cost around 50 quid

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back