Wheres best place to put (sockets) for washing machine and dishwasher? (Ed.)

Why 18kg. - 40lbs.?
Not a clue why that weight for items non fixed and not on wheels was selected. But it is the demarcation line between portable and non portable unless on wheels.

The new landlord law in England includes any item not protable in the EICR, so the demarcation does matter.

I feel to expect some one doing an EICR to open a boiler or a person doing PAT testing to test a whole batching plant as it is on wheels even if delivered on 22 articulated loads is really not on.

However the duty holder should ensure there is a register of all items to be tested, so the tester is under no doubt as to what he is testing.

However with domestic this does not work out so well. And even commercial we would do hand driers when doing the EICR as it needed two people. Even if they are in service electricial equipment.

There were items like vending machines where the supplier was contracted to test them (we did not have keys) they simply had tested by Joe Blogs or who ever on the register.

But this has nothing to do with washing machine and dishwasher supplies. I agree likely better to have socket in cupboard next to them, so it will not stop them being pushed back, but the sink should be reasonably sealed so having sockets for washing machine or waste disposal units under the sink is no problem. Specially since supplied by an RCD.

Sponsored Links
how do I know if I need to get a plumber to do something first to the pipe work as the people before never had a dishwasher.
Have a look and see if you have a cold supply and a waste pipe near where you want to use the dishwasher. But that seems a bit obvious.
Ask the installers what they think before they arrive.

A Pat testing company will insist on Pat testing everything at four quid a pop. Many of those things do not require testing though as they either do not come under the heading of portable or they are double insulated.
PAT Testing ? Portable Appliance Testing Testing?

Last edited:
PAT Testing ? Portable Appliance Testing Testing?
Yep. Pat testing.

IMG_6314.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Well just because lots of people refer to it as PAT Testing does not make it tge correct term to use, does it?

TUC Congress, PIN Number. Just two more of the many examples!

In the electrical world we have Live, Ring Main and Spur used incorrectly amongst others.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back