Wheres best place to put (sockets) for washing machine and dishwasher? (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Just wondering where would be the best place to put sockets for washing machine and dishwasher as want to have them away for any water or water splashes.
Don't want them under the kitchen sink.
The washing machine and dishwasher will go where the chair is (yes we are expanding the area there)
The current sockets on the wall are too far away to connect the washing machine and dishwasher.
Please see picture and any advice appreciated
u6nj1fzdztzm.jpg

Sponsored Links
Why not in the cupboard under the sink? Anywhere except directly behind the units is my approach

Thanks wpuld rather avoid it there incase water somehow gets through to it from sink

Sponsored Links
Thanks wpuld rather avoid it there incase water somehow gets through to it from sink
But there is a risk, in many places, that water and electricity can come together if there is a fault. eg take a look at your ceiling. Up there are several lights, possibly a ceiling fan, maybe a smoke alarm, etc. Also up there are water pipes. A leak from one of those pipes will fill up the space between the joists and come down through one of the items listed above.

Under the sink isnt a problem. Put your socket up the end where the draining board is..if you want to be really scaredy cat, fit a couple of switched FCUs on the wall above the appliances and wire them directly to flex outlet plates behind the aplliances.
shopping

Thanks. Where is the draining board. Just worried water might get spilt on counter and go through the edge where the wall meets the worktop. I know the examples you mentioned.
How about one of these?

More of a problem is having enough power, today with a heat pump tumble drier no longer a problem with a 600 watt load, and the washing machine tends today to have a 2 kW water heater so both together likely under 3 kW. But older outdated machines can both use near to 3 kW each.

My water outlet is not really big enough, the pipe from the drier is tight against the pipe for the washing machine, but there does not seem to be a problem.

Personally I don't feel washing clothes goes with preparing food, in the old days where the washing machine was dragged into the centre of the kitchen floor one could not do both food preparation and washing together as simply not enough space, but today the washing machine and drier can be used at the same time as food is prepared, so no cleaning of the area between tasks, and I would not want my overalls cleaned at the same time food it prepared.

OK I am lucky I have a utility room, but one does need to consider were clothes will go while waiting to be washed, to keep them away from food.

Thanks.
Does a double socket like the one above with a dish washer in one socket and the washing machine in the other will the power in the sockets will be enough?
Overall, the average dishwasher consumes between 1.2kWh and 1.5kWh per load
The average washing machine is 2,100 watts, which is equal to 2.1 kWh
So if we have the washing machine plugged into the double socket and the dishwasher plugged into the other socket is that OK? If not what should we do socket wise?
As they both need to be next to eaxhother as connected to the pipes under sink.
We are getting a full rewire starting today so final chance to make sure things are right.

what other options are there?

Last edited:
I read

"DON’T use the washing machine and dishwasher at the same time as the loading will be more than 16 amps."

I also read that a solution is to install 2 single sockets rather than a double socket? Would this prevent power overload? But isn't it still on the same circuit? Just different sockets?

a solution is to install 2 single sockets rather than a double socket?
That is correct, and singles are what's normally installed for kitchen appliances such as washer, dryer, fridge and the like.

A single socket is suitable for a 13A load.
A double is not 2x13A, and while some may be suitable for that, plenty are not.

They can and often are on the same circuit, but it's not the circuit rating which is the problem, it's that plugs heat up when in use, and having 2 high loads in a double socket can result in too much heat which leads to the socket and plugs being damaged.

I absolutely agree agree with what flameport has said.
However twin sockets and single sockets are often same or similar price, in fact single sockets are sometimes more expensive than twin sockets (it is down to manufactures production runs and wholesale discounts).
I would normally pretty much go for twin sockets everywhere providing that two high loads are easily avoided. A washer/drier/dishwasher are generally higher possible loads whereas the rest tend to be lower loads.
Yes you "might" have more of of a risk of water leaks under a sink but only slightly.
Above your kitchen you might even have a bathroom or at least pipes above that could cause the same kind of problem therefore minimal risks in comparison.
The thing i dont like about sockets in cupboards is they are not as readily accessable if urgent local disconnection is required and avoiding plugs and flexes being out of the area of possible damage/hidden view of pots and pans etc .
Ideally a socket down near the appliance slightly to one side or even behind but with some suitable isolator above the worktop.(easier as you get older or infirm too)
There are some that argue that a kitchen is not part of a building structure but i am not one who considers them temporary so i have no problem for that reason.
In the end you must make a decision that is based on some compromise because ideal locations in every single respect is fairly rare.
Id never even considered about handling dirty washing an food hygene possibilities so well done that man.
Whatever you decide then go for, good robust makes rather the cheap/carp rubbish even if someone thinks it looks pretty.
In life there are always some compromises in decisions because we are all different and so is the order of considerations in many things. Otherwise we would all drive the same cars, wear the same clothes and live in the same type of house (chairman Mao's China!) .

Personally I think that’s a bit overkill. I’ve never heard of outside sockets being used indoors but at least they will be out of sight.
You do find them in commercial kitchens, especially around wet areas

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back