Which 240v to 12v transformer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have recently installed Nest smart thermostat and it is currently powered by USB plugged to an AC adapter with following specs:

- 7w
- Output: 5v 1.4A

From what I have read, Nest can be powered with 12v wiring going from a heat link. I am looking to wire a 240v transformer inside the wall but not sure which one to go for. Would an LED driver such as one below be suitable?

UK LOCAL LED Supply Transformer 6W-50W Driver for LED LEDS 240V - DC 12V

Many thanks

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Doubt it. You need a 12 volt smooth DC power supply not an
an LED driver. But if it can be run off 5 volts why not do so? Can't your existing adapter be put inside the wall?

I assume it's not practical to run a 2 core cable back to the heat link?
Something like a regulated 12V DC CCTV power supply of suitable power rating would likely be ok, as these are designed for installation use and often have fixing lugs etc.

The 5V connector is external to the thermostat and the 12V connections are 2 screw terminals in the back plate to conceal the wiring.

When you say 'in the wall' will the power supply still be accessible?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back