which 3 core flex for combi boiler?

RMB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Potterton 28i combination boiler.It is rated at 230v and has an
external 3 amp fuse(in the FCU/fused connection unit)with power consumption of 190w.I need to replace the 3 core flex which leads from the FCU to the combi boiler with a longer one.I had assumed I would need a 3amp 3 core flex-but the one already on it is far thicker than this-more like a 13-15amp flex.Is this due to the heat generated?Is it safe to use a thicker one?

Sponsored Links
Not much heat generated, i think its thicker partly because it looks better than the thin flex (being such a big appliance, it looks like a bodge with a little tiny flex supplying it!) also theres the issue of wear. thicker wire is going to take knocks better. I may be wrong, but i wouldnt like to see a big boiler wired up in bellwire!! ;)

Thanks for that Crafty-but does this mean I can use a thicker 10 amp or 15 amp flex(even though the external fuse is only 3 amps).I know you can't use a lower amp flex but is there any danger in using a higher amp flex/cable in electrical jobs in general?

No, there isn't. As long as it is the correct type of flex, and you can physically get the conductors into the terminals, you can use a larger CSA (cross-sectional area).

It could well be that the flex on your boiler at present is HR (heat-resisting), and that would explain the diameter.

Have you got the manual? If not, ring Potterton and ask what sort of flex it recommends.

If you cannot get mfrs advice, I would play it safe and plump for .75 or 1.0mm2 3 core HR.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back