Which board for a meter back board?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I need to have my electricity meter moved which grid guys are willing to do (they have been around once already).

It sounds like I need to supply and fit the back board for this, and I'm fine with this as I want it to be in a specific spot to allow for space for a bigger CU later.

But what type of board do I need to install (with spacers) for the meter? Lady on the phone said it just needs to be fire retardant, but nothing more than that. My current board looks like it's very old 18mm stock that has been varnished. I have found an online seller selling 'fire retardant meter backboard' in set sizes, but prices seem premium for what it is. My CU is mounted on plain standard Contiboard; will that work for the meter?

Hope you can help... need to complete this weekend as meter move scheduled for next week

Thanks..

Sponsored Links
I'm a bit confused by this. My (ancient) meter board is labelled "Property of East Midlands Electricity Board" with some added threats about 'doing things' to it. Do the DNOs no longer provide their own boards?

Kind Regards, John

they require the housebuilder (or owner) to provide the board, duct and (if outside) cabinet.

Possibly they would provide and fit, but at extra cost.

p.s.

I might be out of date, but I think the spec used to be words like "will not support the spread of flame across the surface" and laminated chipboard, as used for kitchen worktops, is very suitable. Non-conductive, heat resistant, and easy to wipe clean.

Sponsored Links
I'm a bit confused by this. My (ancient) meter board is labelled "Property of East Midlands Electricity Board" with some added threats about 'doing things' to it. Do the DNOs no longer provide their own boards?

Kind Regards, John
We always have to provide a meter box, containing a board (haven't done an internal move recently) even though the WPD document says they'll provide them from their office for free (not true!).

They don't like internal meters anymore so maybe they don't stock them

Lady on the phone said it just needs to be fire retardant
Did you ask her to explain why they are planning to install something in your house which has so many intrinsic fire risks that it is only safe if mounted on a fire retardant board.?

My (ancient) meter board is labelled "Property of East Midlands Electricity Board" with some added threats about 'doing things' to it.
1) Might be worth something on fleaBay.

2) Mine says SFA, and looks like normal weetabix cheap chipboard.

1) Might be worth something on fleaBay.
Maybe, but I'm not sure how I'd get all the DNO's/Supplier's equipment off it !
2) Mine says SFA, and looks like normal weetabix cheap chipboard.
I think mine could well be almost as old as me, and quite possibly pre-dates the invention of chipboard - it appears to be varnished plywood. The battered engraved brass plate on it indicates that the penalty for damaging it is £5. I'll try to take a decent (readable) photo over the weekend, but, for now ....
upload_2017-1-28_2-9-34.png

Kind Regards, John

What do you mean by 'grid guys'? Who exactly have you contacted, if your profile if right, you're in London? Which will be UKPN.
I'm not sure why they're telling you to supply it, it might be an LPN thing but done south we usually supply them for internal locations, although this may have changed recently.
Give them a call and ask them how much it'll be for them to supply it, the guys will probably have one on board anyway.

So I saw the cef website mentioned, and yes seems a bit premium, but hopefully no one can argue with that.

Neither the previous meter replacement guy or the grid guy that came flinched at moving it to the side of the current meter, so I'm going with that; I think to move it outdoors from where it is would be an absolute pain, so not rocking that boat. I'd bet a brand new install to the side of the current one will still be way safer than some of the ancient untouched ones out there

From what I have read online, plus even what the lady on the phone said, (slightly unnervingly) it seems that all the meter installers are a law unto themselves... some don't mind normal laminated chipboard whilst others want certified fire retardant board, some carry and fit themselves whilst others expect you to do. All sounds a bit fluid.

Grid guy said all it's meant to provide is protection against any arcing from loose wires (yes, I know that opens up a whole new series of questions!.. lol..). And chances are that to roll out new regs to get everyone to replace their prehistoric current boards would just be way to impractical.

Think for the sake of urgency and refusal, I may just need to go with the cef website board..

I'll take a picture of my "pre-nationalisation" backboard when I get home.

I must admit, when I saw "Do not touch, property of Altrincham Electric Supply Limited" or similar - I was a little intrigued! Somewhat more interesting is the old VIR and cloth covered cables under the floor, which have been decommissioned, but left in place.

I'll take a picture of my "pre-nationalisation" backboard when I get home.

I must admit, when I saw "Do not touch, property of Altrincham Electric Supply Limited" or similar - I was a little intrigued! Somewhat more interesting is the old VIR and cloth covered cables under the floor, which have been decommissioned, but left in place.
I've got a few nameplates from the "Coventry Corporation Electricity Department" and the "Leicestershire and Warwickshire Electric Power Company" that I picked up on my travels working for WPD...

As for meter boards, I know outside meter boxes aren't usually supplied with a new supply/service alteration unless you specifically ask for it to be included in the quote, mainly because you can usually get one cheaper in Jewsons etc. New indoor supplies don't usually go in except for industrial stuff, and then it's always been down to the consumer to provide a board. I've accepted 18mm ply mounted on pink plasterboard in the past for such things, but others may have more strict rules.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back