Which boiler is best value?

Sponsored Links
One of my landlords who owns some Trafalgar Sqauare property (for anyone that knows Scarborough) has a pair on the top floor of one building that make anything on life of grime look like 5 star accomodation.

Environmental health have forced his to get me in to fix boiler. When I got to it across the piles of rubbish the case was missing the fan missing the aps missing, I didn't look much further. They had no electric as they owed £200 and I didn't bother to enquire about gas.

My heart went out to these poor Heroin addicts who haven't any more energy than to lie in bed surrounded by squalor, I didn't know peple in that state were in Scarborough, I knew we had a bit of a drug problem, but not that bad.

I said to the Landlord "I am not prepared to put new parts into that boiler and anyway I can't fix it until they have electricity."

You can't call him a slum landlord, I view it as a landlord whose tenants by their lifestyle choices have turned his places into slums. This can be proven because he now puts Polish people in to every vacant flat, and they turn them into palaces, they live very clean. I love going in to fix their boilers because they are hospitable they move everything out of your way. There was a radiator hanging off in a bedroom and just a Polish woman and her female friend in at the time, I gesticulated that I would have to move the wardroab and all to get at it, went to van to get drill, when I got back they had moved it for me. They treat you like a hero for fixing the boiler "I tell landlord you are very good ploomer".

I know you have problems up and down the land with Polish but in Scarborough minimum wage is the norm anyway so they haven't depressed the labour market it was already depressed but they have demonstarted what a bad indigenous social problem we have with the folk who prefer to leach off the rest of us. We should send our leaches to Poland on an exchange scheme.

When I was at university we had to exchange with a usa student to get a work visa in usa (BUNAC) that's how we should treat imigration also, we'll take one of yours if you have one of ours.

Paul

Tend to agree. We have a few addicts in properties, but they don't always last long. Some die of overdoses, some commit suicide, and the landlord gets possession orders on others. Its no way to live, and yes, one lot tried to sell us back a boiler we'd installed nine months before..£50..no thanks!

When i was a student (30 years ago) I used to go sprout picking in N.Yorks to earn Xmas dosh. The three Polish ladies who worked with us could pick at 2.5 time the speed me and my mates could (we were all rugby club mates). By golly they earned their money.

Alfredo

I'd be happy to employ one of these Polish if I could find one with sufficient grounding to bring with him. There is no shortage of guys saying "I like to be ploomer you train me yes" and whereas they look handy and are most certainly willing I would have to give them minimum wage but don't expect a return for quite some time, they can't even speak English properly.

Actually I'd like to find an English person who could bring the right skills, everyone I have tried so far has a huge flaw in their makeup which eventually comes out and explains why they have to come to me for a job in the first place. After they've gone, when I do the sums the best I can say is that I have provided employment for a while, there has been no net gain to the business...

Sponsored Links
It's only because I do installs that I need help, maybe best thing is give up installs altogether, they have been made less and less attractive by Prezzer and the Welsh Dogs between themselves. It's hard to see anyone that has gained except the administrators (i.e. dog handlers and civil servants). The public havent gained, we haven't gained.

Best join them and apply for jobs in ivory towers, that's where the future lies.

I know quite a few Polish guys in building, several plumbing. I've done LGSR's for some of the (unregistered) plumbers where they've put a boiler in. They want someone to pull the installation to pieces. Could call it learning by their mistakes I suppose, but they're getting them right now. I make a big fuss if I find anything wrong. They probably copy my corgi number onto the installation documents, but they could use anyone's.

I do employ one from time to time to do rads and pipework - yes they work hard. I wouldn't take one on on a training basis; if they're any good it only would take a few weeks before they were off on their own.
Most of them end up doing loft conversions and extensions though - they can earn more doing that, than putting boilers in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back