which boiler make choice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sure this question has been asked many times, but I'm not very interested in price, it's reliability and life expectancy that I'm interested in. It's to go in my elderly mum's 2 bed semi bungalow and she wants to keep her hot water cylinder, it will be reolacing a much loved 20yr old wall hung Potterton 10/16 neataheat.........whatd'ya think?

Sponsored Links
If it ain't broke don't fix it , the U'K has only been installing condensing boilers en-masse since 2005 , 5 years ?? , but if you must choose a boiler with a stainless steel heat exc , somrthing that is BG service listed , a company that employ direct labour to carry out any in-warranty repairs , & preferably made in the U.K which does not nessarily mean a british company , some of whom manufacture abroad !!

The thing is, as mum is 80+ she is terrified of the boiler blowing up in the winter (you know how the old un's panic about everything). So she is happy to throw money at the potential problem whilst the weather is hot

Sponsored Links
would recomend valliant or worcester boilers very reliable and easy to get parts.

Vaillant = stainless steel heat exc O.K Worcestor = alloy & alot of plastic bits & pieces comes with a 5 year warranty ??? well we will see in due course might end in tears for some installers ???

The thing is, as mum is 80+ she is terrified of the boiler blowing up in the winter (you know how the old un's panic about everything). So she is happy to throw money at the potential problem whilst the weather is hot

I assume you know that your mother would be entitled to a grant from eaga £300 for being over 60 ? she might also be entitled to a larger grant depending on her circumstances ???

That's interesting, have condensing boilers been made abroad for a longer time?

Nice one Transam, I didn't know anything about discounts, I remember on this site some months ago, plumbers also liked Broag/Remeha boilers, are they still OK?..............main, blimey, never heard of them

I like fitting the Broag/Remeha's, medium range quality, but at basement price, 5 year warranty NOT as good as say the Viessmann (thats Parts&Labour - as long as its fitted and serviced to epecification by an apporved installer....)

Nothing wrong with Vaillant either, just that tech support is (almost) non-existent.

DH

BTW (both Remeha/Viessmann are stainless main heat exchanger, as is Vaillant)

Main are Potterton , eaga administer the grant's for the government your mum would be entitled to £300 just on her date of birth you are given a voucher which you redeem against any install , larger grants are available dependant on circumstances , if you get the big grant you have to except what boiler you are given !!!

id have to say viessmann.weve tried budget boilers.got us alot of grief.even those who want a budget boiler were very stubborn on what we suggest.might not get us the job.we dont care. as if we recommend a budget boiler we ended up with all sorts off grief.great believer in you get what you pay for.(most of the time :LOL: )anyway viessmann won it for our company.easy to work on(german :oops: )great warrentry.they did have problems with the old 100s but at least the manufacturer held there hands up and admited this and revised.gotta admit that alone says alot.

The cash for grants has all been used up, but some companies are offering similar enticements, we've got BG coming sat PM to give us a quote, we'll be asking for Veissman, Valliant or Remeha boiler, should be interesting.........

We only fit Vaillant or Worcester - Although it is just my opinion we get very little problems with them and customers are all very happy.

If a customer wants a budget boiler we avoid them - its not worth our hassle with all the after installations problems.

The cash for grants has all been used up, but some companies are offering similar enticements, we've got BG coming sat PM to give us a quote, we'll be asking for Veissman, Valliant or Remeha boiler, should be interesting.........

Are you sure we are not talking about the scrappage scheme which ended a while back now if it has ended it must have been quite recent ???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back