Which circular saw -£100 budget - size? Spec?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got about £100 to spend on a handheld circular saw following an insurance payout.

My criteria are fairly vague:

240v mains
Good dust extract/control
good depth & bevel control
popular blade size (i.e. not some wierd size that nobody stocks)
Good for occasional bouts of heavy work, and longer periods of neglect.

Would also like:
Carry case
Laser guide

I don't have a table saw or a radial arm saw, so whatever I get may well get pushed into doing tasks better suited to the above.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Sponsored Links
A good make, like Makita, AEG, Bosh (blue not green) etc. second hand/pre used - whatever. You could try your local Gumtree, fleebay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skil-F0155064GB-5064-Circular-Saw-240V-C-W-Guide-Rail-System-Skil-Tool-Bag-/221377181690?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item338b1bb7fa) etc. ...pinenot :)

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Have a Makita like that and it burn't out. Bit too much abuse I suppose.

If that happens they ain't worth fixing as the parts are so expensive.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the input, not sure why folks don't like the bosch green - had a green sds which was brilliant, better spec than a lot of the blue stuff, and just went on and on and on. Gutted it got stolen as bosch don't make that one any more.
I still reckon a laser is a good idea, it might not appeal to the purist, but a long straight edge isn't always practical.

I still reckon a laser is a good idea, it might not appeal to the purist, but a long straight edge isn't always practical.

Show me a laser you can see in sunlight, which will survive more than a few hours of operation, which is cheap enough to put on a circular saw, and is under 5mW output so it's not dangerous.

That's right, they don't exist. They all burn out or are too dim to see properly in a lit area. Then there are the multitude of alignment issues to consider.

If you want to achieve a straight cut with a circular saw easily, you need to cut against a straight edge or use a track. A laser is not the solution.

I've got one of these and I'm really happy with it:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-erb1721-210mm-circular-saw-230v/33778

Used it to cut down a kitchen worktop yesterday and got a clean finish. Normally I would spend the extra and get a Makita or Bosch but I didn't anticipate using it much so took a punt on a cheaper option and no regrets so far.

I'm pretty sure it has a laser but I've never bothered with it

And when my Dewalt grew legs I replaced it with this
http://www.screwfix.com/p/evolution-stealth-1b-1200w-185mm-circular-saw-240v/13178
Which seems ok . The adjusting screws are a bit fiddily and the guide arm a bit weak and will probably bend easily but it cuts fine and is easy to handle and not too noisy.
I'm not personally a fan of the larger saws as I never feel safe with them , something like a 7" is about right for me , but that's just personal choice.

Okay, refined criteria:
Doesn't need the laser.
must have included rip fence, and a carry case.

On a similar vein! Where's the best place to get blades?

Got a shortlist, anyone care to comment on any of the below?

Hitachi C7 SB2 +1700W motor (is this excecssive?) +Alloy baseplate -No dust control
Makita 5704RK +dust extract nozzle for vacuum +Riving knife (is this removable?) -1200W motor -Flimsy rip fence (according to reviews)
Bosch GSK190 +dust blower to front, -some issues with base not being true -££
Skil 5066K +guide rail included -no hard case -no rip fence?
Black & Decker KS1500 +Frikkin lazer beams! -flimsy looking base
Dewalt DWE560K +dust blower -flimsy looking base (aka B&D?) -££

All are 185/190mm blade, 240v and come with a box (apart from the skil), most are available on Amazon and are around the same price point (some like the Bosch & DeWalt are a bit more).

I've reviewed your list and my personal choice would be the Hitachi, simply because the base appears to be better than simple pressed steel.
I would not give a lot of thought to a carry case, as the plastic ones used/supplied these days soon break at the so called hinges which are just a ribbon of plastic and soon break. A riving knife on a rip snorter/circular saw is more trouble than it's worth, if you change a blade which is thinner or thicker, it cant be adjusted. If you try cutting a rebate, the riving knife has to be removed. Actually the motor will cut out before the blade fully jams in the cut, most of the time. If the wood being cut is suspect keep a suitable wedge thicker than the blades kerf handy, either 150mm long with a taper say 3 mm > 20mm so it will be too big to fall through the resultant cut, or "T" shaped i.e. shoulders, to stop any fall through the cut. Side guides are are at best adaptable (with added longer wooden fence to keep the run true) or good small hammering implements, not serious bits of kit in my honest opinion...pinenot :)

I've reviewed your list and my personal choice would be the Hitachi, simply because the base appears to be better than simple pressed steel.
I would not give a lot of thought to a carry case...

Beg to differ on the case, even if it isn't site-proof, my needs are for a tidy storage solution, and a hard-case fits that bill nicely as it'll go on a shelf and not flop cable and bits all over nearby equipment (or other carry cases). Plus the garage (storage location) is suffering from condensation at the moment, and leaving new equipment lying around in that sort of environment is a crime in my opinion.

The rest of your post is most helpful - thanks. :D

I would not give a lot of thought to a carry case...

Beg to differ on the case, even if it isn't site-proof, my needs are for a tidy storage solution, and a hard-case fits that bill nicely as it'll go on a shelf and not flop cable and bits all over nearby equipment (or other carry cases). Plus the garage (storage location) is suffering from condensation at the moment, and leaving new equipment lying around in that sort of environment is a crime in my opinion.

The rest of your post is most helpful - thanks. :D

i suggest you have a look at a saw in a box 90% off the space is wasted
its at least 50mm bigger than the saw all round

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back