Which consumer unit to buy?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening.

Wonder if any sparkies out there can help me with this question. I have arranged for a local electrician to change an 20 year old consumer unit with a new one. I told him I would supply the parts and I wanted to pay him for the labour. Bit confused at which one to buy. I have a small flat (one bedroom). I have ring main, lights and cooker circuits only. Might ask him to put in a smoke alarm too?

Will be going to Screwfix tomorrow. Any advice as to which one I should buy from www.screwfix.co.uk?

Also, he will be doing the "Landlord Electrical Test" - is this and the "Periodic Inspection Report" one and the same thing?

Sponsored Links
Why in the world did you tell him that you'd buy the parts if you don't even know what you need? No doubt your spark would be able to supply parts cheaper than you would be able to get them anyway.

Brands are usually down to an electrician's personal preference, certainly avoid Proteus, although Wylex, Mem, Hager and MK are respected manufacturers. You might also find a good deal on Contactum as I believe they went bust recently, but whether or not that's a good idea re availability of spares in the future is another question.

As we don't know your sparks plans (i.e. all RCBOs, high integrity board?) it's difficult to advise any further. Personally, as it's only a small flat and not many circuits, I'd advise to go with RCBOs - there wont be a huge difference in cost between going that route vs dual RCDs.

Given that the spark will probably have trade accounts at various electrical wholesalers, dont you think he'll be able to get you better prices on the items?

Sponsored Links
He says he will charge me £50 to switch the unit and £80 for the test - he can self certify.

Sounds very suspiciously cheap to me.

Is this one OK

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/80908...ully-Insulated-Dual-RCD-Consumer-Unit[/QUOTE]

If by 'ok' you mean 'will it do what I need?' then yes, it will, but it's far bigger than you need. A smaller unit fitted with RCBOs would be of similar cost if you buy the RCBOs from the right places, and a far better option IMHO.

I prefer MK Sentry ones to Wylex. Always seem to have problems with the screws on the MCBs.

Did he mention the cost of upgrading the bonding, earthing etc?

Do you know whether you have a TT TN-S or TN-C-S supply, which may affect your choice of protective devices?

Given that the spark will probably have trade accounts at various electrical wholesalers, dont you think he'll be able to get you better prices on the items?

Judging by my experiences over the last couple of weeks almost all installers add a huge markup on hardware. ( up to 150 % in one case )

Judging by my experiences over the last couple of weeks almost all installers add a huge markup on hardware. ( up to 150 % in one case )

I think that may be tarring a large amount of tradesman with the same brush. Mind you, even at 150% markup, it's still cheaper than finding that you have a TT supply after having purchased a metalclad consumer unit, or something equally silly.

Yes Gees - they get trade charge you retail - voila - and since I havge not got a frigging clue what RCD / Dual / Split Load / RCBO is I was hoping for some constructive comments.

thanks electronicsuk - if it will do i will get it - cheers.

i don't know what that alternative is, but it seems i wouold need to have better knowledge to go down that route.

p.s. my experience of being screwed last time was buying local isn't always the best way to do it - but it is the easiest for the tradesperson. Screwfix is generally very reasonably prices for most things and a lot better than I am normally charged for people with "accounts"

The CU linked to is probably suitable, provided you don't have/want more than 10 circuits.
However before buying that or anything else, you need to confirm with whoever is installing it that it actually IS suitable, and also they are willing to fit that particular one.

As your property has only 3 circuits, RCBOs would be a much better choice and virtually the same price.

The other issue with buying CUs like that is the selection of circuit breakers included with it probably isn't what is required for your particular installation, so additional items may be required, and you will almost certainly have some which are not needed at all.

There will be other parts required anyway - new tails and main earth, protective bonding, earth block, sleeving etc.

thanks flameport - the RCBo's at screwfix start at £28 - with three circuits I guess I will need three ...

As Screwfix has a 30 day returns, I will pop down and get the "dual RCD" I linked to - if he can do me a better or cheaper solution on the day or doesn't want to install this one, I can always return it.

Thanks for constructive advice - better than some smart arse quoting what I have said and the only response being "For God's sake" - but ricicle, the ratio of flameports and electricsuk "thank" to "total posts" compared to yours says it all fella. Now go be a smart arse somewhere else.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back