Which Finish for a Pine( softwood) Garden Table?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

I am enjoying making a garden table out of pine softwood. Stud partition for the table top and
thicker pine for the legs, not started the legs yet.

I thought at first paint. Knotting, primer, undercoat, gloss. Not sure now so I have decided to ask you what you have used for external pine.

What do you suggest please? What do you think, and how you got on with what you chose.

Keep healthy.

Sponsored Links
Consider checking out the Sikkens range of products that will sink into the wood, protect it and colour it if you wish. Expensive maybe but worth every penny.
I don't think that gloss painting is a good move for outdoor furniture personally but that's just me.
John :)

Check out the Bedec range, barn paint in particular. Gloss will ruin your hard work.

Nozzle

Dear me, two replies, both say keep away from gloss. Thanks,paint is out for me. I'll check on the stuff you mention.
Thanks for replying so promptly
Alan

Sponsored Links
Definitely not paint. I've used Sadolin in the past and been happy with the results.

If possible use pressure treated wood. I used decking for the top (smooth side up) and fence post for the legs - all pressure treated. More rustic than fine furniture but strong. Finished with outdoor water based varnish to seal which i know will need redoing every few years but hopefully no rot.

Attachments

• DCFF9D4C-DD52-43DE-85D5-90CC79EFA8D3-COLLAGE.JPG
    DCFF9D4C-DD52-43DE-85D5-90CC79EFA8D3-COLLAGE.JPG
    387.1 KB · Views: 214
Thanks everyone. You have talked me out of painting but what about knotting solution. Ok for painting I am told, but these oil, varnish, epoxy etc finishes, do I knot those?

softwood knots bleed when the sun gets on them and they warm up. But you can get a lot of the resin out by playing a hot air gun on them, it will liquify and bubble out and you can remove it with a scraper before it sets.

Not hot enough to scorch the timber; though if you do, you can sand it off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back