Which Hammer Drill.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, New to this site so go Easy on me! I am in the market for a Hammer drill. My wife and I just got the keys to our new house and It needs a lot of work done, new kitchen, bathroom ETC . I am looking to buy a new Hammer drill for general D.I.Y use. Any advice on Which Drill, My budget is around £100. Thanks for your replies. :cool:

Sponsored Links
if its for diy id go for a ryobi sds with rotary stop (around £50 from screwfix)
iv used one for a while whilst building my power tool collection after a theft.
they are strong enough to do more or less anything and the rotary stop is an added bonus if you need to do any chiselling etc

if its for diy id go for a ryobi sds with rotary stop (around £50 from screwfix)
iv used one for a while whilst building my power tool collection after a theft.
they are strong enough to do more or less anything and the rotary stop is an added bonus if you need to do any chiselling etc

Thanks Buddy, Not thought of Ryobi before, only been thinking Bosch Dewalt Makita, Which are very Expensive. Will check out Ryobi Though. Our local B and Q lets you try out power tools in store so i will be on to that. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Totally agree with getting an SDS - it's changed my life completely, like a knife through butter. Luckily, I got a dewalt for a bit over a hundred, mains fed, on offer from screwfix a while ago.

Bosh blue sds. Bosch blue sds. Bosch blue sds. Bosch blue sds. Bosch blue sds.

Bosch Blue sds VERY Expensive. I have it narrowed down to a Makita sds HR 2230-1 on ebay for £81. Am still going to check out the Ryobi, But am Favouring The Makita for Reliability. Any more thoughts ! :confused:

The 2230 does not have rotostop which you can get away with. I have a Makita SDS with rotostop and it battles on. Just used it instead of a core drill with a cheap tct bit to cut a 50mm hold through a 9" wall, no problem for this drill! Personally What I would do with a budget of £100 is pick up a Ryobi SDS with hammer and rotary only for about £50. The other £50 can be spent on a cheap Shed 5KG breaker if you really need it. B&Q do one for about £40. Now dont slate it, it will munch through brick/tiles and will come with 2 year warranty so when it breaks just get it replaced.

"neds, Excuse my limited knowledge on sds drills, but whats the rotostop used for, Only goin for makita as my Dad had one for years and years.

Rotostop is bascially hammer without the rotation so effectively a chiseling action. But with a 2KG SDS drill you would only really be taking out tiles with it anything more your looking at a 5/6KG SDS drill.

Bosh blue sds. Bosch blue sds. Bosch blue sds. Bosch blue sds. Bosch blue sds.

Bosch Blue sds VERY Expensive. I have it narrowed down to a Makita sds HR 2230-1 on ebay for £81. Am still going to check out the Ryobi, But am Favouring The Makita for Reliability. Any more thoughts ! :confused:

I would only buy Bosch professional (blue) range of SDS. My little sds with rotostop (cant remember the model and too cold to check in the van) cost under £100.00 a short while ago.

It will break whatever I have asked it to and never complained. My sds gets lots of use as I don't have a cordless sds anymore as they kept getting nicked!

I have had three of these over time, none broke or needed repairing, ever. Two got nicked, though!

Makita and Dewalt are good, too! I personally have a question mark about some dewalt motors, but others swear by them. Ryobi are good for the money, just not quite so 'industrial' IMO.

my last bosch lasted iro 14 years,and the chap whoes got it got it going again with a bloody good clean. :LOL:

Well I just ordered A Makita HR2470 sds. With rotary, hammer and chisel Functions. After reading most reviews I went with this one, Cost £110 from a reputible UK company on ebay with a 1 year guarantee.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back