Which of these can a non-CORGI plumber do..?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm a recently qualified plumber, at level 2. I've tried to read some of the legal mumbo-jumbo about CORGI, but I can't find anything in plain English.

I think I can...
Replace Radiators
Add Radiators
Change central heating Pumps
Replace Hot Water Tanks and Immersion Heaters

I don't think I can...
Replace faulty parts in a boiler

I'm sure there's a lot more to it than that, but can someone clear it up so I know exactly what I can and cannot do?

Thanks very much. :D

Sponsored Links
The pump I'm referring to isn't in the boiler itself and has nothing to do with gas. I've replaced one on a house I own, but wanted to be sure I could do it for paying customers. I've heard some CORGI plumbers quoting hundreds of pounds for replacing pumps, but I can't see why it should be that expensive.

there is no such animal as a "corgi plumber" you are an rgi

I've heard some CORGI plumbers quoting hundreds of pounds for replacing pumps, but I can't see why it should be that expensive.

cos they are blo ody con artists

some boiler parts can be changed

personal opinion(AND THATS ALL IT IS ) if it does not effect the safe working of the appliance then you are ok

Sponsored Links
there is no such animal as a "corgi plumber" you are an rgi

That was until CORGI created them with their 'Plumbing only' logo and ID card. This is where a non-RGI can obtain registration as a plumber with CORGI in order for them (CORGI) to cash in on notifiable plumbing jobs.

Of course the vast majority of the nation think plumbing and gas work are the same.

All this because CORGI is committed to not diluting the gas safety message!

So how much do we all charge to change a CH pump as long as the valves are shutting off and how much if you have to drain ?

I've heard some CORGI plumbers quoting hundreds of pounds for replacing pumps, but I can't see why it should be that expensive.

I am wondering if you were hoping to cash in on a profitable job?

Sorry to disillusion you but its quite a simple job and therefore one which is not charged very highly.

We charge our diagnostic fee of £84 plus the cost of the pump if the valves are the gate type and work. That price is based on the need to diagnose the fault. However I am aware that this is not competitive for anyone who already knows that its the pump at fault.

If any customer calls for a quote for a replacement pump many plumbers would only quote about £45-£65 plus the cost of the pump at about £50 for a Grunfoss or £40 for cheaper makes.

If its a sealed system then most plumbers would probably charge an extra £30 or so to change both valves. Rather more if its an open vented system and loft access is needed.

Tony

Haha! No, I'm not hoping to cash in, it's for a friend (one that's just lost his wife of 50 years!), so I'll probably only charge £40 labour. I intend to change the pump valves too, but he said he wants to get the parts himself so we'll see how much they cost.

Salmson pumps specific to a particular boiler or brass grundfos pumps on the hot water can cost hundreds in the pump cost alone.

It is now even possible to be corgi registered and not able/allowed to carry out any work on gas! How confusing is that?

You can do anything with out corgi providing you do not interfear with *********** However you should be careful with some things if your not sure, i.e, safety discharges and such. There is always someone you can ring if your not sure.

You can do anything with out corgi providing you do not interfear with ***********. However you should be careful with some things if your not sure, i.e, safety discharges and such. There is always someone you can ring if your not sure.

So if you are not registered you still change boiler fans or flues then?

Yeah you can change******** pumps etc. Not to sure about flues and definately cant interfear with burner.
The problem with the flue is obviously the products of cumbustion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back