Which one of these Satellite cables is good?

Sponsored Links
so explain in simple physics terms why it wont pass a signal through a wire..any wire. Does this apply to electricity as well?

That is an idiotic question, why might you think they design various cables, for a variety of purposes? Next you will be saying that he could use a bit of twin and earth cable for the purpose.

That is an idiotic question, why might you think they design various cables, for a variety of purposes? Next you will be saying that he could use a bit of twin and earth cable for the purpose.
just answer the question please. Explain the physics and why you can't pass TV signal data through a cat5 cable

For the sake of a tenner or £20, why not order a proper crimping tool and exterior crimp F type plugs. You may well only use it once but you can flog it after.

I started off using twist on F-Types then discovered that they would only grip some cables but not all. I don't do this for a living. The crimp ones seen to be far more reliable. They also have the advantage of not untwisting when in use.

Sponsored Links
and why you can't pass TV signal data through a cat5 cable

But you can, at least try, nothing at all to stop you trying, problem is that it is so badly impedance matched and so lossy, you would certainly be wasting your time and effort - there would be no signal coming out of the far end, unless you dramatically boosted it on the input to your cable..

I started off using twist on F-Types then discovered that they would only grip some cables but not all. I don't do this for a living. The crimp ones seen to be far more reliable. They also have the advantage of not untwisting when in use.

Almost all of mine are twist-on, whilst agreeing that if the user is ham fisted - they can twist back off, the simple fix is to serve the F-Plug sleeve with a bit of tape, or even better, a bit of heat-shrink.

My tourer caravan uses a sat-dish, set up numerous times on site over the past 15 years, the LNB connects to the caravan, via a long coax, with screw on F-plugs, they have never been an issue, despite repeated use.

But you can, at least try, nothing at all to stop you trying, problem is that it is so badly impedance matched and so lossy, you would certainly be wasting your time and effort - there would be no signal coming out of the far end, unless you dramatically boosted it on the input to your cable..
Impedance matching on a wire no signal coming out the other end. Boots signal...these are just meaningless phrases that you picked up from wikipedia. So does the wire get hot with the signal being absorbed LOL

I can find stuff from Wiki too :)
The 'Technology' section is pretty interesting ;)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sat...kipedia.org/wiki/Satellite_television[/QUOTE]
knowledge and understanding is what most strive for.....but cuting and pasting things is neither one nor the other

If you don't know remain silent else you will demonstrate your ignorance
I'm calling you wiki-dickie the cut and paste king LOL

Are you high on some drug, or have you mixed me up with some other poster? I never cut and paste from Wiki or any other source.

back in 1988 i worked for a company that started fitting the first sky dish’s the white amstrad ones , we all got a free set up one of the lads wired it with twin and earth, earth for the centre pin and the live and neutral folded back and a screw on f connector fitted .
it worked perfectly!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back