Which oven

If I've understood what people have been saying:
10mm² would be plenty for that.
so a single 10mm2 (which you run everything off) or
Another possible option may be to run TWO 6mm2 cables - one for oven, one for hob - if your electrician hates working with 10mm2 (as I do!).
2 by 6mm2. I assume you'd split the sockets between these 2 cables.

Sponsored Links
Just so I'm clear what I need to ask for.

Just run a 10mm cable for each appliance and also enough sockets in case we need them if we ever change the appliances in the future?

Plan carefully where you know you will need sockets, then take a second look to see if there are any room corners which lack sockets. You can never have too many sockets. Around my house, garage, garden, hut, workshops and summer house I have around fifty sockets. Four of them are outdoor sockets. I still don't have enough sockets, still rely on multi-outlet adaptors and extensions.

Just so I'm clear what I need to ask for.

Just run a 10mm cable for each appliance and also enough sockets in case we need them if we ever change the appliances in the future?

No, way over the top. As I said 10mm is often used to supply a complete house.

One 6mm cable will do for both appliances. Lets face you will never have everything on full load at the same time.

As I said 10mm is often used to supply a complete house.

Would be a small house then ( TLC's cable calculator suugset 10 kW is the maximum for a 10mm² cable

upload_2019-7-26_9-38-47.png

with 41.6295 Watts being lost in the cable. ( 0.957 V x 43.5 A ) when 10kW is being drawn

Assume this 10 kW runs for 1 hour a day, ( ignoring other loads during the rest of the day )

14.965 kW hours per year which at 12p per unit is approx £1.60 per year wasted heating the cable.

Take into account the other loads that create wastage in the supply cable and the extra cost of 10mm² over 6mm² could be seen as acceptable in the long term.

Sponsored Links
10Kw is never going to be used in a domestic kitchen. Imagine how hot it would be is used for an hour! Ever heard of diversity or thermostats.

The last range cooker I installed required a 10mm feed from a 45A CPD. Manufacturer’s specifications:p
Yes the future is the all electric home, powered by electricity produced by burning gas in the power station.

Is it ?
if we believe what St Theresa was saying, by then, all generation will be from renewables. These will be more than sufficient to charge all of our electric cars, and power our homes.
Any chance of that?
Cold fusion technology got past proof of concept? Got any plasma you don’t need?

All I will say is.

If the cooking appliances will be all together. Next to each other.
1 10mm is plenty.

If they are in other sides of the kitchen.

2 6mm is better

All I will say is.

If the cooking appliances will be all together. Next to each other.
1 10mm is plenty.

If they are in other sides of the kitchen.

2 6mm is better

I'd go 2 x 6mm regardless. I'd not want a faulty oven element preventing me heating up the baked beans.....

Hi guys,

So i picked my ovens and hob and first fix is done for these.

The hob I picked was a 32 amp 3 KW pluggable induction hob.

The missus might want to up the size from 60cm to 80cm so was wondering would the cable for the original hob work with the new one

The new one is 32 amps, 7.4kw needs hard wiring.

Worst case I try and find a bigger pluggable one.

Thanks

The hob I picked was a 32 amp 3 KW pluggable induction hob.
No it isn’t. A 3KW anything is 13amp.
The new one is 32 amps, 7.4kw needs hard wiring.
That’s more like it n

Worst case I try and find a bigger pluggable one.
You won’t find one. As above, the biggest fuse that goes in a plug is 13A. The biggest plug in hob will be 3KW. PERIOD.

Put in a circuit that is big enough for the 7.4KW hob. Then you have options.

No it isn’t. A 3KW anything is 13amp.

That’s more like it n

You won’t find one. As above, the biggest fuse that goes in a plug is 13A. The biggest plug in hob will be 3KW. PERIOD.

Put in a circuit that is big enough for the 7.4KW hob. Then you have options.

Thanks.

Looks like the cable is the size between a standard socket cable and a 10mm cable so hopefully that caters for a 7.4 KW hob.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back