Cable for hob and ovens in new kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are rewiring our new house as part of a major renovation.
We haven't picked our oven or hob yet and and trying to understand what cabling to put in.

Looking around it seems that typical hop and double oven requirements seem to be around 7kW/31A (hob) & 5kW/22A (ovens).

Do we run one cable (say 10mm) to the hob, then onto the ovens in series (all from one wall switch) - or separate say 6mm cables to each - or 10mm?

Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
It depends on the installation method, but

avoiding conduit and thermal installation, 4mm² and 32A MCB will be fine to supply both.
A lot of people still like 6mm² with the 32A MCB because that's what's always been done because of rewireable fuses which are no longer installed.

Cooking appliances don't use all their parts at once so the design current Is calculated by:
((Total Amps - 10A) x 0.3) + 10A

You have probably overestimated the amperage at 240V but,
53 - 10 = 43 x 0.3 = 12.9 + 10 = 23A

10mm² is often used to supply a whole flat.

Hi,

We are rewiring our new house as part of a major renovation.
We haven't picked our oven or hob yet and and trying to understand what cabling to put in.

Looking around it seems that typical hop and double oven requirements seem to be around 7kW/31A (hob) & 5kW/22A (ovens).

Do we run one cable (say 10mm) to the hob, then onto the ovens in series (all from one wall switch) - or separate say 6mm cables to each - or 10mm?

Thanks for the help.

Are you personally rewiring your house or contracting an electrician to do so?

I will be using an electrician, but like to know as much as possible before hand and I like to understand what anyone who works in my home is doing. And to understand the questions I need to ask.
And I am generally curious and over think things.

Sponsored Links
Well one thing you need to know is that your oven and hob won't be in series. They will be in parallel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back