Which oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Having an extension at the moment and the electrician needs to know what ovens and hobs we are going for so he can do the first fix.

Obviously we haven't quite got round to picking the ovens and hob but was wondering if someone could explain the difference with all of the ratings etc.

So I understand the electrician may need to run a 6mm cable, a 10mm cable or the ovens might just have a plug on it.

Do I have to pick the exact oven at this stage or can I just say run a 10mm cable to keep my options open?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Run a 10mm to future proof. You may decide to buy a plug in type at the moment but in the future your wife may want a 5 or 6 burner Range type.
Make sure he puts enough sockets in take most, if not all, appliances you intend to have.

Yes, have a 10mm installed so then you have all options available and have a gas socket or two installed, so you have the gas option. We have all the options available at the back of the hob and oven.

Thanks for the quick replies.

So we are having an electric hob and also 2 single ovens. Do each of these have a 10mm running to them but on top of this sockets as well to take all 3?

Sponsored Links
Yes, have a 10mm installed so then you have all options available and have a gas socket or two installed, so you have the gas option. We have all the options available at the back of the hob and oven.

I'm not sure I have the budget for gas as well. Extras are starting to add up

Induction hob, or radiant heat electric, or gas.
What sort of oven? Gas or electric?
Single or double.

Ask the person who will be cooking.

Then you can start to look at the models you want. Then you’ll know how much lekky you’ll need.

Induction hob, or radiant heat electric, or gas.
What sort of oven? Gas or electric?
Single or double.

Ask the person who will be cooking.

Then you can start to look at the models you want. Then you’ll know how much lekky you’ll need.

Looking at a standard electric hob not induction.

Then a single owen and a combination oven microwave on top (instead of a double oven).

There are so many to choose from!

Another possible option may be to run TWO 6mm2 cables - one for oven, one for hob - if your electrician hates working with 10mm2 (as I do!).

Another possible option may be to run TWO 6mm2 cables - one for oven, one for hob - if your electrician hates working with 10mm2 (as I do!).

I suppose I just want to keep my options open for choosing the appliances. I won't know until nearer the time the exact models of each

10mm is all that is often used for a whole house. Can't see why you would need anything that big for a kitchen.

Future proof.

We hear that gas heating systems will be phased out over the next few decades as part of the “carbon neutral “ campaign.
We can guess that fossil fuel use for other uses , like cooking, might also be removed.

So, no gas any more. Doesn’t that mean an increased demand on electricity use?

We hear that gas heating systems will be phased out over the next few decades as part of the “carbon neutral “ campaign.

Yes the future is the all electric home, powered by electricity produced by burning gas in the power station.

Is it ?

A significant amount of the energy produced by burning the gas in the power station will be lost in the transmission of electricity from power station to homes. Maybe a idea to bring power stations back into towns and cities. Gas being much cleaner to burn than the coal that used to fuel power stations in towns and pollute the air with visible pollution.

Another reason for the all electric house is the gas transporter's reluctance to supply gas to new homes which are likely to have combi boiler's installed. Combi boilers requires sufficient gas flow to provide "instant" hot water for a few hours a day. The gas transporters have concerns about being able to supply enough gas flow to feed increasing numbers of gas hungry combi boilers.

EDIT the problem is peak gas flow demand when almost all the combi boilers are running in hot water mode ( 30 -48 kW per house ) as people take showers before going to work.

Just so I'm clear what I need to ask for.

Just run a 10mm cable for each appliance and also enough sockets in case we need them if we ever change the appliances in the future?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back