Which radio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can't find anything on here about radios so here goes.

I'm looking to get a radio for work (we do basement conversions so aren't working directly in somebody's house) preferably dab as you can get loads more stations.

I've looked around at dab radios but there all little ones designed for next to your bed. The only one I can find that has a bit of volume to it is the makita dab job site radio but at £130 it's a lot to spend on a radio

What's everyone's opinions on the best radio for trade use?

Sponsored Links
Site I was on recently had makitas and dewalts.

ive got an old dewalt version,works very well.bought from a local boot fair for 25 quid.

Get a radio that'll run on the same batteries as most of your drills etc.

I've got a bosch 10.8v li-ion radio. It's ace.

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't you choose a radio that uses the same batteries as your cordless tools?

With a DAB radio, listen to it carefully before you buy.

Unlike digital TV, the sound does tend to be rather substandard, and not as good as an ordinary FM portable. They also eat the batts much faster.

The makita is an awesome sounding bit of kit but if your stuck in an area with rubbish reception or in a basement you may not be able pick up the dab signal

Radios!

Curse of the inconsiderate builder! :evil:

for 1 i dont have my radio loud,plus im not allowed to.and if anyone comes into where im working i always turn it off so they can ask/discuss whatever is on there mind.
as i spend most of the time working on my tod,not having a radio on when i can would be totally soul destroying.

years back when on big sites.1 agent called a meeting because every room/floor he went into there was a different station being played trying to out do its neighbour.
so he said who ever is 1st in,in the morning set the station THAT EVERYONE HAD TO FOLLOW.
cor the ammount of arguments about it,but it was a lot better then being told he was banning them all. ;)

Bit off topic, I know, but we're having building work done at the moment and have had a bunch of sub-contractors in.

Pretty much all of them seem to have an iPhone/iPod player/amplifier and they either played whatever tunes they had with them or they have asked for the wifi key and gone with Radio iPlayer, TuneIn Radio, Spotify or similar.

Maybe DAB is old hat :)

Bit off topic, I know, but we're having building work done at the moment and have had a bunch of sub-contractors in.

Pretty much all of them seem to have an iPhone/iPod player/amplifier and they either played whatever tunes they had with them or they have asked for the wifi key and gone with Radio iPlayer, TuneIn Radio, Spotify or similar.

so at lunch time they can browse the web looking at all sorts using your band width mmm,dont think i wouldve given it to them. ;)

I use an old sony fm radio, cost £3 off a car boot. Really good sound, pretty tough unit, and can run off batteries or the mains

Maybe they should pay for their own service. Besides, they should be working.

I have a DAB "portable" at home but it gobbles batteries if not plugged in and the sound is substandard even though it has fairly large speakers, so I would hesitate to buy another. Sound quality off Internet radio I also find poor. The same progs off the TV tuner are far better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back